Piston VS DI - firing cheap/crap rounds?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by MAC1990, Mar 3, 2012.

1. MAC1990

MAC1990 New Member

I currently have a Benelli M4, it has a piston system and I sometimes find that it cannot cycle cheap/crap rounds properly..

so my questions is this:

I want to buy the H&K MR556, it has a piston system....will it fire crap/cheap rounds flawlessly like my colt AR that is DI does?

Thanks
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Depends on what you consider cheap crap rounds? Steel case russian ammo?
  3. MAC1990

MAC1990 New Member

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/20120303233316225.jpg/

If you look at the picture the yellow box is chinese, and the small brown box is russian

they are 7.62, i was just giving examples...i cant find the .223 :)

I like to fire cheap rounds :)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Well I can't honestly say I a big fan of shooting cheap steel case ammo in rotarty bolt actions such as the AR. The gas system they use really has nothing to do with reliability. Its if the ammo is going to stick in the chamber. I know people have stated their success with shooting steel case in AR's but its a real guessing game if it will work or not. Steel ammo has varnish on it to prevent rust. the varnish solidifies with heat and in tight chamber weapons it sticks to the chamber causing extraction issues, not really a cycle issue based on the gas system used. Impingent systems have the same problem as piston systems when it comes to steel cae. There is brass surplus ammo out there but the quality control isn't the best. If you use that, pay attention to each shot for a change in sound. Will it work? your guess is as good as mine, but I never saw the point of buying a expensive gun and feeding it crap. I can tell you this. I work at a shooing range that has a full auto mp5 to rent. The range provides the ammo bc at first people were buying the cheapest 9mm ammo they could, usually steel case. It jammed constantly. Put a clip with magtec or PMC in it, ran like a champ. If I ever get a AR15 or 10 in the shop with a stuck round in the chamber, 99% of the time its a empty steel case that falls out of it after beating it open.