Pitted Spanish M16 carbine

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Ken W, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Ken W

Ken W Member

I recently acquired this poor thing. Initially only one patch of pitting was visible above the stock on the barrel. Once I finally got the thing apart I discovered a bevy of corruption. This thing must have been in a basement or shed for ages. What a waste. The barrel is obviously beyond help but would it be worth trying to fix the couple patches on the receiver and put another barrel on it? The bolt and stock are filthy but, as far as I can tell, serviceable.
    Ignore the GEW 88 parts on the table. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Ken W

Ken W Member

Thinking I might just fill them all up with cold weld. All but one are under the stock anyway so it's not going to look spotted. Damn shame someone ruined it like that though.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If you want my honest opinion, I wouldn't waste any money on it. If you work on it, and fill the pits, clean up the stock, have it reblued for $75, and put on a new $150 barrel, you will have a $50 rifle.

Find some newbie gun guy and give him the rifle as a project gun. He may choose to waste money on it, but you will have made a friend.

Jim
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Damn, that poor thing is used up! :( They're good shooters though. The original 7 X 57 Mauser round it used is excellent. I've owned one since 1967. Kicks like mule, but is very accurate.

What your gun looked like once upon a time before the rust got it:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  5. Ken W

Ken W Member

Yeah, it is a real shame that someone let this gun get ruined like that. I've no intention of spending that kind of money on it. Too far gone for that. It's been suggested that I just fill all of the pits with cold weld, barrel included, use a spray and bake finish, throw the stock back on and make real lite loads for it. Most of the mess is under the stock so it still wouldn't look like a mottled mess. Sounds worth a try. Still need to get one in good shape one of these days.
  6. gunboat

gunboat Member

I have a 98 FN - chinese contract, that apparently served time in a junk's bilge -- almost as bad as yours , perhaps worse -- most damage under the stock line. I have salvaged it with a new/old 308 Herters barrel. Will just paint it when done.
    If your weapon were mine, I would do a similar thing, rebarrel (mychoice 250sav) and paint.
    I am unable to view all your photos but presume there is no damage that hampers function. The pits on the reciver ring are not significant.
    my tuppence
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Ken, I'd bead blast it, use liquid steel for bondo to fill the pits, sand it smooth, and Duracoat it. Refinish the stock, and go burn some ammo through it.
    That actually looks pretty good compared to some Brazilian 1908's I've seen.
  8. Ken W

Ken W Member

Sounds good. The stock is actually in good shape already. Just filthy. You think repaired like this the rifle could handle standard rounds or would I need to stick to hand loads with Trail Boss or similar?
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Lawyers have made sure that US made factory loads are anemic compared to what the Europeans load. And I can't see any pitting deep enough to cause concern, most sight base screw holes are 3-4 times deeper than that.
    How does the bore and chamber look?
  10. Ken W

Ken W Member

The bore exhibits strong rifling and the chamber appears to be fine. Only thing bad that happened to this rifle was that it must have been stored somewhere very damp and moisture built up underneath the stock causing lots of rust and mold. Whoever did that should get a firm boot in the arse.