Plainfield M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dmascheck, Feb 12, 2012.

1. dmascheck

dmascheck New Member

A friend gave me an M1 Carbine that shows Plainfield as the maker. Took it to a gunsmith to check it out before firing! He said the area, and understand I do not know the proper description he used, but the portion the barrel attaches to is cracked and he said he would not fire it in this condition! Said it was too costly to fix and had no idea where to get the parts.

The question is can it be fixed? I always wanted an M1 Carbine since I was a kid and surely you can get parts, but from whom and where???

Dan Mascheck
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Not knowing just what was cracked, I can't say how to fix it or even if it could be fixed. If the receiver is cracked, I would say the gun is trash, since welding and re-heat treating a receiver is usually not a good idea if you like to keep all your body parts intact.

I suggest you try to buy a GI M1 carbine, which will be far better made and will increase in value, where the Plainfield carbines were not especially well made, have zero historical value and, at best, are just old guns. Some GI carbines are bringing fancy prices but there are still some available at fairly reasonable figures.

Jim
  3. dmascheck

dmascheck New Member

The barrel is pressed into some reciever for lack of a better word and while the barrel is OK, what it is pressed into has a crack. Surely you can buy another upper?
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The M1 carbine barrel is not pressed in, it is screwed in, and those barrels were not made to be swapped around like the AR-15 barrels. I have seen carbine receivers for sale. You can try here: www.sarcoinc.com or www.gunpartscorp.com and see what they have.

I will advise that changing the barrel on a carbine is not (IMHO) a DIY proposition, so you might want to talk to your gunsmith about a total price before you order.

Jim
  5. dmascheck

dmascheck New Member

Thanks for the help!!
  6. gyrene63

gyrene63 New Member

Plainfield carbines are made up of all USGI surplus parts except for the receiver that was produced by Plainfield Machine. Plainfield carbines were, and are, considered the best post-war commercial clone on the market. Many were placed into service by police departments across the country.

Changing out a carbine barrel is no different from any other rifle barrel but the price of necessary tools make it an expensive proposition for a one time change. Most new carbine barrels are short chambered and will require finish reaming and head-spacing. Using a used barrel will require checking the head-space. If carbine barrels were not inter-changeable there would be none on the parts market.

The M1 carbine does not have an 'upper' so I'm not sure to what you are referring. If the receiver is actually cracked then a replacement receiver is a way to go. Be aware, though, there is one outfit on line who charges about 3X the value of a receiver. You should be able to locate one for around $200-250.

The totality of the crack, depending on its location, may not be seen without magnafluxing the receiver. This could cost more than replacing the receiver.

Regardless, your carbine is not trash; it is merely broken. A USGI receiver will work and the parts within the make-up of the Plainfield can be used to complete the repairs/rebuild.

IMO, if the receiver is cracked at the chamber end of the barrel 'slot', your carbine was most likely rebarreled by an amateur and over-torqued into the receiver.

If you can...post some pics.

It's hard to respond to you dilemma since you have not posted pictures
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Betting it's the gas piston cylinder that's cracked.
  8. dmascheck

dmascheck New Member

Thank you for the help. The base of the barrel has an area that expells gas to eject the spent shell. Sorry for the lack of the proper term, but you can see the crack easily. I'm trying to find somone in Texas that can replace the barrel. I was told the barrel will need some slight machining to fit and I live close to Houston and surely there is some one in a city this large, that can do the job!
  9. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

I hate to bust your bubble, but, I have a universal carbine in identical condition; the cost to repair it (replace the barrel) exceeds the value of the gun. By the time you buy a barrel and have it installed by a gunsmith you could have bought another non-military m-1.
    I am waiting for the stars to align and have a cheap barrel drop in my hands, but otherwise I have shelved this carbine.

Save your money and buy another, use the first for parts, my opinion only.
  10. dmascheck

dmascheck New Member

What kind of price are you talking about?? The ones I see are $600 or more and I don't need or want an original at the cost and what I plan on using it for.
  11. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

A barrel, installed, on a Plainfield receiver will run a little less than $400.
  12. dmascheck

dmascheck New Member

I found a shop that will do it for $300 in Tennessee!
  13. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

A replacement universal, plainfield or other (there were many) make carbine can generally be found for about 200-350 at almost any gunshow. There are new production models that are available at a greater cost.
    Many people regard the civilian versions as junk; they can have a rather spotty reputation and the quality can be inconsistent. My opinion, of course.

The resale value for a plainfield will be somewhere in my mentioned price range regardless of having a new barrel or not as long as it is shootable. You could look for comparable guns for sale and let the prices guide your decision, I personally would not spend the money.
  14. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

If you really want a mil weapon and don't want to put a lot of money in the Plainfieild you can pick up a SKS yugo or norinsco for about 275 to 400
  15. gyrene63

gyrene63 New Member

A new barrel from Fulton Armory will run about $279. Installation less than $150 tops.

StoneChiminey is right on. Go ahead and replace the barrel if it will resolve your problem. Of course, it's your gun so it's your choice. Go the route that's favorable to you.

Plainfield is as close to USGI as you can get without it being a USGI.

I'm sure the folks who bash Plainfield would be willing to buy your 'junk' for a pitance.
  16. rocky321

rocky321 New Member

Well said! Plainfield M1's do not get the credit they deserve. I own 2 USGI M1's, Rockola and IBM, and a Plainfield. All the parts interchange perfectly.
  17. rocky321

rocky321 New Member

I agree!
  18. frogman

frogman New Member

I know this is an old thread but I just bough a Plainfield carbine in Fl. last weekend for $300.00 - private party. The stock is a little butchered but functions ok.
  19. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congratulations on getting a good gun. Enjoy shooting it. They are fun.