plastic case ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by joe45c, Jan 26, 2012.

1. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I was reading a story today from the 2012 shot show about plastic case ammo which is according to the article not reloadable. Being as suspicious as i am, if this catches on i can't help but think the feds have some kind of angle in this against reloaders and shooters. I just haven't figured it out yet, but in a few years when all the brass is off the market watch out!:mad:
  2. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

With a plastic gun and plastic ammo, how would they detect it at security checkpoints?
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Why is all brass going to be off the market? And couldn't you have the same theory about Blazer aluminum case ammo? That stuff is not reloadable either, and it has been around for what - 30 years?

In fact, somebody tried selling ammunition with plastic cases about 20-odd years ago, and the gimmick was that it was easily reloadable, with a simple hand tool.
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Ive never seen a all plastic gun that fired a bullet with gunpowder
  5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

ryan, the article didn't mention anything about plastic guns it mostly dealt with plastic shell casings that pcp had developed. from what the rep. from pcp said was that these plastic casings had solved all the past problems that plagued other attempts that plastic casings have had. but when he was asked if the casings were reloadable he stated that they were not.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. snuffy

snuffy New Member

While not 100% plastic, these were offered just a few years ago to save weight for soldiers to be able to carry more ammo.

[​IMG]

These are .223, they were also made in .308.

The company,(Natek), went out of business when the military didn't buy into it. These were not supposed to be reloadable, I did, but the bullet/neck tension was almost non-existent. The case was formed/molded around the bullet, then the powder filled case was snapped onto the brass base.

Active made an all plastic shotshell for many years. There was a steel ring imbedded in the base to strengthen it. Herters sold an all plastic shotshell with their "model perfect" spin off front end wad. What a joke! Special tools needed to form a crimp to hold the spin off over shot disk.
  7. yetiman

yetiman New Member

I still have some "Activ" shotgun shells that were plastic, we reloaded the heck out of em but they got to where they jammed in semi auto's.........thinking that they are close to 2o yrs old now........I actually shot some in December and yes they still jammed but my shotgun was in dire need of a cleaning......
  8. yetiman

yetiman New Member

**Looks at Snuffy's post** Nevermind, lol.....
  9. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

This what I was referring to. I understood the plastic amm0 casings.What I was getting at was Ive never seen a all plastic gun that would fire them.There was alot of people that thought the Glock was an all plasstic gun and they were afraid of flying because if it was all plastic it wouldnt be detectable at the airport.now that people know only part of the gun is polymer and the slide is medal they understand.Sorry I was mis understood.Ps. There might be an all plastic gun that fire real bullets ive just never heard of one.
  10. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

ok ryan, as they say in the sports world, i'm on the same page as you now.:)