The Firearms Forum banner

plastic Nato ammo

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  blackhawkkid308 
#1 ·
Has anyone used this Plastic ammo in their guns? I did a search but couldent find anything on it. It just seems like good practice ammo being so cheap. Might even be able to use it for airsoft wars :D . The only problem I see is that it says it will not cycle in semi/ full autos .

G
#2 ·
I've heard about it, Ironman, and seen it advertised by the purveyors of new gun toys, but I've not had experience with it. Sounds like a neat idea of practice indoors if it's reasonably accurate and not too expensive.

#5 ·
There are several other alternatives to this ammo - such as the "convert-a-pel" which uses brass slugs, shaped like a full sized cartridge with a pistol primer in the back and tiny .177 hole bored through the middle. You press a pellet in the front a primer in the back. There there is a brass insert which rides in your barrel rifled in .177. You have the manually cycle the slide, but you don't have near the mess.

Also, Bill Jordan used wax bullets and magnum primers in a revolver for years for quick draw practice. Heat a brink of wax up a bit a press brass into it to fill up the front like wad cutter. Makes a bit of a mess, but its not bad to clean up.

#6 · (Edited)
Never used any plastic ammo...looks like it might be kinda fun to play with though.

45 has a good suggestion on the wax...although cycling in an auto would be rather rough. :D

Works well in wheel guns, and it's cheap.

If ya want to play, try a parlor pistol!

Sorry, that was off topic a bit...never used snap caps either.

#7 ·
Never used this stuff, but Speer used to make 'snap together', primer powered .38 Spl cases, and bullets, for practice shooting.
They weren't real acurate, and would penetrate a hollow core door, or mobile home wall covering (DON'T ASK!!!), but made vey little noise, and no recoil. No damage to the bore.
The ultimate answer to ferral dogs, cats, etc, if that's a consideration, and cheap (1 cent a shot).
When you consider that Bruce Lee was killed by a bulletless stage 'blank', it goes without saying that all the 'live ammo' cautions and precautions still apply!

#8 ·
stash247 said:
When you consider that Bruce Lee was killed by a bulletless stage 'blank', it goes without saying that all the 'live ammo' cautions and precautions still apply!
I hate to correct you, but it was Brandon Lee, Bruce Lee's son that died on the set of The Crow, whom was killed by a blank. Bruce Lee died of a drug induced brain aneurism.

#10 ·
Not exactly the same stuff, but I have two boxes of "Frangible" 30.06 rounds in my ammo collection.

I don't know what powder load they have but the bullets are made of Bakelite and are in brass casings.

I had never seen them before so I bought them at a local gun show a few yrs. back.

#12 ·
DONT DO IT , IRONMAN! I almost ruined my pride and joy, my turkish walnut cz 527 because of that stuff. a very small piece of that stuff almost embedded right where the bore/throat come together. i could not see it, i kept trying to load new rounds in it but they would stop my bolt just before lockup. i finally had to multiple jamm(gulp) a cleaning rod FROM THE MUZZLE END, and finally knocked it loose.

#13 · (Edited)
natec-pca spectrum makes a plastic cased 223 and 308 the 223 is offered in 55g and 62g. here is a picture of the 55g 223 it shoots pretty good and causes no problems in my ar-15. have shot a couple of cases. the reason for the military is the average soldier can carry 3 times the ammo for the same weight. sorry about the size of the pic, don't how to reduce it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.