Plastic trigger guard

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by goofy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I'm working on a Mossberg 190 it has a plastic trigger guard and was wondering if there is a way to polish out some scratches they are not deep but I do want to end up with a polished finish. I do not want to paint it. Any ideas would be great and thanks in advance:)
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You have access to a glass-beading cabinet?
    Sandblasting it would be too coarse, but I've beadblasted several non-gun-related nylon parts and it gives a nice dull stippled finish similar to how the Marlin 60/70 trigger guards look when new.
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

You can sand it with wet/dry sandpaper, then buff it with 0000 steel wool. For a high gloss finish, you will need a slow speed buffer.
  4. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

My cousin makes several replacement trigger guards for the Mossy rifles from aluminum plate. Can be left as polished aluminum, painted, powder coated etc.
    quality work, and you will never have to worry about shrinkage, breakage etc.
    here's a sample.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a thread from Rimfire Central.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274968&highlight=replacement trigger guard

It has pics and comments from several people who have purchased Ron's trigger guards in the past.
    Check out post # 24, It has a picture of a guard the owner had powder coated, looks original, yet bulletproof.
    if you are interested, let me know, and I will give you contact info.
    Jim
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks . This is a customers gun and I'm refinishing the wood and steel(Hot blue) but not 100% He just wants it fixed up and can not afford much money so looking at the trriger guard I was thinking if I could I would do something to it.

Bindernut I have a cabnet but it is set up for aluminum oxide. Never tried it on plastic I have both fine and course.Do you think this will work.? Gess I can try it on a scrape peice.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I think aluminum oxide would be pretty coarse on any plastic.
    Maybe would work if you kept a good distance so you didn't hammer it too hard with the grit.
    If you've got a chunk of scrap I'd definitely try it there first. Use the finest grit you've got.

I sure like the looks of those Aluminum triggerguards jamesjo! Your cousin does very nice work. I'm thinking they'd get pretty cold on the fingers in the winter though. :)
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

It is well known to old watchmakers, that for taking scratches out of old plastic watch crystals, Brasso will work wonders. I have used it many times and it works. I see no reason why Brasso would not polish black plastic with similar clear results.
  8. H-D

H-D Active Member

go to Carquest and buy some 3M medium and fine scratch remover for paint use that on a soft cotton cloth works well on plastic motorcycle parts
  9. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

I second the Brasso
  10. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Those aluminum trigger gaurds look really sharp.
  11. 185D-A

185D-A New Member

Re: Plastic trigger guard HELP

Anyone knows if this is still for sale, I need one for a 185 or 190 Mossberg????????:banghead:
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

wow.. those TG's look nice!
  13. Munch

Munch Member

I NEED one of those trigger guards for a 190D 16ga. That looks great!! Ordering info please!
  14. 185D-A

185D-A New Member

I really need to have this seller contact me, my project gun is missing the crapy plastic trigger guard and I am not going to put another plastic on on.

Contact me:
    lockbuster at aol dot com
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Replacing the plastic with aluminum is fine, but if not practical you might try acetone; on some plastics, it will smooth out the surface and remove scratches.

Jim
  16. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I cant add to what has already been suggested.

Crazy that I'd just come upon this thread and glad it was brought back to life!
    Just yesterday a guy stopped by and I cleaned hid old O.F. Mossberg as it was non-stop jamming. He'd seen where I'd replaced the TG and trigger on my marlin and wanted to know if they make replacements for the old Mossbergs for a better look and durability.

Can a person still get these machined from alum.?
  17. 185D-A

185D-A New Member

I am still waiting for someone to respond who can make the triggerguard out of aluminum. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
  18. Zane71464

19. Zane71464

...looks like a while since James was last logged into TFF.