The Firearms Forum banner

Plastic vs 1911

Tags
15K views 78 replies 36 participants last post by  hogger129 
#1 ·
OK guys, alot of trash talkin going on. :D Put it to numbers. Not how many you have but if you have. If plastic out numbers 1911 we get a Forum. If not we don't. We'll use the 1911 Forum, looks like a ghost town there anyway. :D

Plastic: Yes
1911: No

#56 ·
I would like to see a Glock forum, or at least a 'polymer' forum....

It would be helpful. That would give a place for people to share all the trick tips for my G22.

You know, things like

Lower and flare for reliable ejection,

Machining the slide to accept other than tiny blade sights

Polishing feed ramps, barrel hoods for reliable loading

Aftermarket magazines that will feed HP ammo reliably

Custom fitting barrel bushings, links, pins for better accuracy

Where to find a gunsmith to trust with a trigger job on a $1200 gun..

Oh wait, I guess I don't NEED those things on my $550 Glock.....oops :D :D

BTW, I own one Glock, and a couple of 1911's Love em' both. Different purposes. No evil intended, Just having a little fun here! :)

Earlier post: ' Let's see if the Glocks are still around in 100 years...'

Introduced around 1980....Most widely used sidearm with LE......I'll put money on them still being here in 2080, unless the Lib Dems get their way.

#57 · (Edited)
I'm a proud 1911 owner. But I can honestly say that I thought the Glock I shot was a great gun. It all comes down to a matter of personal preference to me. I don't think one is really "best" or "better." Both have their pros and cons.

#58 ·
I have both. As hogger129 said, "both have their pros and cons". Its all a matter of personal preference. I wouldn't mind seeing a polymer forum. But since this thread started in 2006, I doubt that it will happen.:rolleyes:

#59 ·
I have both and have been thouroughly pleased with them all. Other than carry comfort due to the lightened polymer frames, I see no differences. Now that being said, two of the polymer guns are double stack and have the weight added back in extra ammunition.

Plastic Guns:
Springfield XD45 Service
Taurus PT-145
Kel-Tec PF9
Walther PK-380

Non Plastic Guns
Wilson Combat CQB
Wilson Combat CQB Compact
Wilson Combat Professional
Taurus PT-1911 AR
Browning Hi Power
Para Ordnance LTC Lightweight (Aluminum Frame)

#61 ·
The 1911 got the US thru several wars along with John Moses Brownings other works of absolute GENIUS,without JMB we may well have lost WW II,and we had Sam Colts "potato digger" before the 1917 .30 BMG.I'm busily working on pissing off 1/4 of the worlds population and after it gets out that the SEAL team that wacked bin hiding was using SBGO I'm sure it'll be more than 1/4.My bedside weapons are my 1911 and my 12 loaded with 3" 000 BUCK and slugs.My carry is my 1911.
No plastic for me,if by some chance I should run dry I want a good club,not something by Mattel.
SEMPER FI

#62 · (Edited)
Folks , a awful long time ago i had need to use my side arm a browning HP 9mm

not a great experience,

i've never needed to use the 1911 i got later , but never worried it would be a repeat of the 9mm experience

no contest

while the plastics may handle all that , and do for many

i like steel , its comforting , i know it and its what i choose for me

what you choose for you is your call .. each to their own

#64 ·
Many years of debate. But, if someone set two brand new glocks in front of me and one nice 1911 and said choose the two or take the one, I would take the 1911 every time. I would not spend my hard earned money on a glock. But that is what makes the world go round. Like what was already posted, 1911s got us thru 80 years of military service and that speaks volumes...

#67 ·
I don't have either, but would like to get a 1911 one day. I have no desire to own a Glock. Its ugly, made of plastic and I don't think that little trigger thingy is very safe. Did I mention it is ugly?

The 1911 design HAS been improved since its creation. They added a safety / decocker and DA first shot capability. That is the design most modern autoloaders are built with. Except Glock of course (which is really ugly).

I would much prefer a Sig (I confess, mine has plastic grips!) or a Ruger P series, etc. over a Glock (I would even take a Taurus first!). They are much better looking.

If you want a manhood extension, the bulkiness of the Glock makes it look much bigger, so I think it will work better in that department. Even though it is ugly.

Besides, Glocks are ugly, and that is enough reason for me not to get one.:D

#68 · (Edited)
This whole "plastic" thing is highly amusing. How someone can knock Glocks for having plastic, then strap themselves in a modern car/truck and drive 65 mph, avoiding hundreds of head on collisions by a couple of feet each day is beyond me.

In your car/truck, you are completely surrounded by plastic. Plastic interior, plastic dash, plastic bumper, plastic grille, plastic engine parts, plastic brake parts....some cars even have plastic body panels. The parts to pay close attention to are the plastic bumper and plastic body panels.....these are plastic outer coatings or coverings with steel structure underneath....ever REALLY pay attention to how Glocks are constructed?

And for those of us who ride motorcycles, what do you rely on to save your grape? Try riding around with a steel helmet. Too heavy you say? You may be on to something.:)

BTW, I know this argument seems wierd from a person named "slabsides", but I like all kinds of guns. Each has different strengths and weaknesses. 1911s are beautiful and dependable. Glocks are not as beautiful but they are damn dependable. A 1911 is what I show my friends, a Glock is what I show my enemies.

#69 · (Edited)
Well I assume when we say "plastic" we're talking about Glock.

-The average 1911 is typically more accurate than the best Glock (a lot of that is due to the 1911s single-action trigger)
-The 1911 has 100 years of history behind it - it served the US military for years and some parts of the US military still use the old rattlebox Colts
-The 1911 is better when you talk about individuality and customization (every Glock looks the same and you really can't change the outward appearance much like you can with a 1911)
-The 1911 can be tuned tighter to achieve more accuracy
-One of the things that makes the 1911 so accurate is its trigger
-It has a slim grip so it can be easily concealed
-Natural point of aim

Glock and some of these other polymer-framed pistols beat the 1911 is when you talk about weight and ammunition capacity. Some people also are not comfortable carrying the "cocked and locked" 1911 and opt for the "Safe Action" trigger of the Glock. 1911s are also more picky about ammunition than a gun like a Glock. It happens more often on the tightly tuned, more competition oriented 1911s. The Glock can also be had in a wider variety of calibers, whereas you have to look harder and pay more for 1911s like that.

What do I like better? I like the 1911. If I were a patrol officer where I had to carry a sidearm 8 hours a day 5 days a week, then I would probably want something that can carry more ammunition, that is lighter and easier to haul around like a Glock.

To me, it's like the old 7.62x51 vs. 5.56x45 debate. The larger round will drop the target faster, but the smaller rounds allow you to carry more ammunition.

#70 · (Edited)
I've never liked Glocks. Had handled a few but never fired one. A model 30 in .45 ACP came up and I decided to give it an honest shot. I dislike them more than ever now. I traded it for a 1911.
I shot the Glock 30 also and it could hold a good group, but all the Glocks I've tried have shot high. I'm not a big fan of their trigger either. I'm just not comfortable with having no other external safety other than on the trigger. At least the XD adds in the grip safety. I also feel like Glock has a very light trigger. That said, it's a well-made gun, but it's just not for me.

#72 ·
This whole "plastic" thing is highly amusing. How someone can knock Glocks for having plastic, then strap themselves in a modern car/truck and drive 65 mph, avoiding hundreds of head on collisions by a couple of feet each day is beyond me.

In your car/truck, you are completely surrounded by plastic. Plastic interior, plastic dash, plastic bumper, plastic grille, plastic engine parts, plastic brake parts....some cars even have plastic body panels. The parts to pay close attention to are the plastic bumper and plastic body panels.....these are plastic outer coatings or coverings with steel structure underneath....ever REALLY pay attention to how Glocks are constructed?

And for those of us who ride motorcycles, what do you rely on to save your grape? Try riding around with a steel helmet. Too heavy you say? You may be on to something.:)

BTW, I know this argument seems wierd from a person named "slabsides", but I like all kinds of guns. Each has different strengths and weaknesses. 1911s are beautiful and dependable. Glocks are not as beautiful but they are damn dependable. A 1911 is what I show my friends, a Glock is what I show my enemies.
Winner of Best Analogy Award. Heh, well said! :D

#74 · (Edited)

I like all kinds of guns. Each has different strengths and weaknesses. 1911s are beautiful and dependable. Glocks are not as beautiful but they are damn dependable.
I live in Arizona, what's a "helmet"??? As for the Plastic vs. 1911, each has it's pro's & con's, nothings perfect. I like them all because I'm a gun lover, and I've had nothing but good experience with Colt 1911, Browning, Sig, Walther, and Glock. With over 50 years of shooting and carry, I end up with my XDM .45 and would never go back. Works for me, that's what counts.

#75 ·
Lots of funny and good stuff here.

skin a steel smokewagon when it is -13F out and get back to me. A glock wont be so cold you feel the cold all the way down to your bones. Done it with metal and nylon66 (not plastic as yall say). Way more comfy with a Glock.

Right now my 9mm framed 45 caliber G37 is the most accurate box stock pistol I have owned, even the two 1911s I gaveup on.

I like both though. My XD9 and G37 are still my first pics.

#76 ·
I live in Arizona, what's a "helmet"??? As for the Plastic vs. 1911, each has it's pro's & con's, nothings perfect. I like them all because I'm a gun lover, and I've had nothing but good experience with Colt 1911, Browning, Sig, Walther, and Glock. With over 50 years of shooting and carry, I end up with my XDM .45 and would never go back. Works for me, that's what counts.
1. Helmet laws suck.

2. Exactly! One should carry and shoot whatever they like. I live with a Glock 23 on my side. It is riding inside my waistband as I type this. I simply like them better than XDs, but I would never trash talk one. They are both excellent handguns. Comparing Glocks to XDs or 1911s or Rugers or whatever is like arguing who makes the best vehicle. Its kind of silly when you think about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.