Plated casings

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by w1spurgeon, Jul 26, 2012.

1. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon New Member

For years we have used brass cartridge casings. Now I see a lot of ammo advertised as having cases of "nickel plated brass". Why go the extra step?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Durability, easier to see in low light conditions and "slicker", ie easier extraction reliability. A majority of SD ammo is loaded in nickle plated.
  3. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I dont know why but may be to keep cases from expanding to aid in extraction.I carry Hornady critical defense rounds and they are plated and siver bear russian are nickle plated
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I love plated cases for my leather ammo belts. Did you ever use a leather ammo belt with brass cases and leave them in the belt for a year? I don't know what it is but a green paste substance appears on the brass cases and makes a real mess of it. It doesn't happen with plated cases.

I think it's a reaction between the leather tanning chemicals and the brass. If left alone long enough it actually eats the brass.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Plated cases, as GunHugger says, are corrosion resistant. When police carried revolvers, they used belts with loops and brass cases turned green. Police found with green cartridges were in trouble unless it was March 17.

So there developed a cottage industry to chrome plate live ammunition. It cost, IIRC, almost a dollar a round (regular ammo was something like $.07) but the cops figured it paid for itself in time saving. Reportedly, some cops had a tough decision to make if faced with the choice of getting shot or actually firing that expensive ammo.

So there is a practical reason. But the real reason is simply hype, to make the buyer believe that the ammo is something special and better than ordinary brass case cartridges.

Jim
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I don't like plated cases for reloading.
  7. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

How does a plated case efect reloading ? I am new to reloading and hav'nt tried a plated case yet.
  8. Clipper

Clipper Member

I don't have any problems with plated .45's. I don't have a lot of them, but they load just like my brass.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

They reload just as easy as brass cases. The only problem is that you will not get very many loading out of the nickel plated stuff. They will crack and split much faster than brass. The brass plating will also flake off at times.
  10. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Your Russian ammo is plated so it will not Rust as it is plated steel. It is also not reloadable. Oh you can, if you have the tools and the Berdan primers, but loading steel is ill advised by most.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It doesn't one bit. Some say that the plating will start to flake and may scre up a die but I've never had that happen. I have had it wear down to the brass but never flake. Go ahead and load them if you have them, just inspect them well before reloading.