Plated vs FMJ

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Scooter
    (4/23/02 4:38:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Plated vs FMJ
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm supposed to be working, but you know how it goes......

I was browsing one of my favorite sites, and they are offering "plated" bullets for a fairly decent price, compared to the lead round nose and "copper washed" round nose bullets I've been considering.

So, just what the heck are "plated" bullets? Never heard of that designation before. From all external appearances (and pictures on the internet don't lie, do they?) they look just like the FMJ variety. How this is the plating? Are they better than hard cast lead or even copper washed lead bullets? Not as good as FMJ? About the same? Does anybody care?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Tailgunner1954
    (4/23/02 6:05:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Plated vs FMJ
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    copper washed is a micro thin layer of copper that can be scrapped off (the wash does provide some luberication)
    Plated (at least the one I disected) is more like a jacket .010 thick that is electro-deposited on a cast bullet and covers everything (like Chrome plating)
    On jacketed bullets the guilding metal (copper alloy) runs .020-.050 thick and has had the lead pressed into it after forming.
    BTW a FMJ and a jacketed HP are made the same way except for which end the lead is pressed into

Scooter
    (4/23/02 8:02:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Plated vs FMJ
    Man, I learn something new every day!

Thanks for the information, Tailgunner. As I mentioned, I hadn't heard of that one before. I think I'll give them a try. They seem to be less expensive than FMJ, but afford some of the same benefits.

The last batch I reloaded I used the coper washed, but haven't used any of them as yet, so I'll be curious about the results.

So, any other thoughts regarding the plated variety of bullets? Anybody? You in the back?

Scooter

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/23/02 10:13:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Plated vs FMJ
    One thing you should be careful of is that there is some import
    ammo that has a copper wash on the bullet where in some
    instances they use a steel jacket instead of softer metal,
    in which case it will wear down the rifling in the barrel.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/24/02 9:10:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Plated vs FMJ
    As an add to the origional question.

What loading data should you use for plated bullets? the jacketed data or the lead data.

I've searched and can't find an answer. Maybe looking in the wrong place

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/24/02 2:02:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Plated vs FMJ
    That one the reloaders in here will have to answer as
    I don't reload.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/25/02 9:53:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Plated vs FMJ
    Hey Tac: You should take it up. I have mine set up in the "dog" house so when I'm exiled I have something productive to do. It can be relaxing and keeps the peace.

Last winter was BAD around here and I loaded enough to hold me till at least July. Maybe you have something to look forward too.

a81492
    (4/25/02 11:37:44 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Use data for lead buddets.........
    when loading plated. Logic goes a bit like this....... plating is thin & soft. Jacket is thick. Same material but a plated coating is softer by nature (copper jackets are drawn = work hardened).

Better to default on side of caution

best,
    joey

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/25/02 4:04:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Use data for lead buddets.........
    hmm. my logic was exactly opposite - copper washed / plated / jacketed, it's copper touching the rifling.
    Figured lead rounds more sluggish / more drag.
    (shrug).

Not a lot of difference in velocities between either copper or lead, at the same bullet weights.

Then again, if you are using max pressure loads, it's up to you to take care / do the experimentation.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/25/02 5:16:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Use data for lead buddets.........
    Smokey,

If I ever have any time in the future I may do
    some reloading, but running the board and the
    business eats up about 15-hours a day, in fact
    this is my dog house and I'm in it most of the
    time!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/25/02 6:27:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Use data for lead buddets.........
    Tac:
    I found one of those small refrigerators for the "dog" house, makes things much more tolorable.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (4/25/02 11:38:35 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Use data for lead buddets.........
    Got one!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac