The Firearms Forum banner

Please advise between two pistols

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  demented 
#1 ·
I've narrowed my choice to either a Smith and Wesson P-99 or a Steyr MA-1 in .40 S&W caliber. Can anyone tell me which of these is the overal best as to reliability, etc.. Thanks!

G
#3 ·
Demented, both are excellent pistols, though personally I would favor the Steyr over the S&W. Keep in mind though, that my opinion is based only on my "feel" for both. The Steyr simply fits me better than the S&W. Functionally, I don't believe you could go wrong with either one.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Not being able to examine either, asking those "in the know" is my only way to determine which is best. If both are equally reliable, looks as though I can't really go too far wrong with whichever I choose. Hope it doesn't come down to a coin toss! BTW: This is intended as an upgrade of my S&W Sigma 40VE "truck" gun.

#5 ·
I shot a P99 at a range a few months back and loved it. I liked the ambidextrous controls (even though I'm right handed), and it fit in my hand very nicely. Smooth operation, and no problems at all.

It helps that I'm a fan of Walther's P22, which is simply a scaled-down P99 chambered for .22lr. In fact, I'm probably going to buy a P22 tomorrow (and because Indiana has reasonable gun laws, I'll even be able to take it with me right away).

I haven't tried anything Steyr, but I can tell you that the P99 is certainly a good choice.

G
#6 ·
This is intended as an upgrade of my S&W Sigma 40VE "truck" gun.
I have one of those as well, demented. It's an OK pistol, but the trigger on it is horrible. I use mine as a utility gun too. :D

I own a Steyr and have found it to be both highly reliable and also extremely accurate. It has a very interesting sight arrangement on it though that some like and some don't. It's a triangular sight that makes for very fast target acquisition once you get used to it. For a self-defense pistol it is excellent.

#7 ·
My Sigma has been 100% reliable, more so than I have a right to expect from a $250 pistol. As you mention, the trigger is tough getting used to, strictly as a self defense pistol I have no complaints, it'll hit close enough. What it lacks is that "utility" an easier to shoot pistol has, I shoot waaaay more at targets, etc. than at human predators!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.