Please help ID this winchester bolt gun, description only

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Boisepatriot, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Boisepatriot

Boisepatriot New Member

Greetings gunners,

Recently my 22 was burgled from my moms house. I need its model both for the insurance claim and to be able to search for a replacement.

Grandpa gave it to me about 30 years ago. single shot. The safety set with every cycle of the bolt. The safety control was flat, with several longitudinal "grip" grooves, directly above the charge handle. There was a loading groove on the bottom of the receiver, and a ramp to feed the next cartridge into the chamber just by pushing the bolt forward. The bolt could be removed by holding the trigger full rearward and pulling straight back. I seem to remember that the scope I added mounted into a slot or groove on each side of the barrel or upper receiver, with some sort of pinch clamp, and NOT via tapped holes. Maybe a buckhorn spring rear sight. It would shoot the button off a paint spray can at 25 yards.

Any ideas? Hours of googling have led me nowhere.

Thanks for any insight.
  2. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

I'm not completly sure but if the safety set with the bolt it sounds like a Remington.
    The only Winchester rim fire single shot bolt I am not sure about it the model 121. Google that and see if it looks like your rifle.

Tarheel
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know which gun you have, but maybe these terms will help in your googling, or in asking other boards.

You have a single shot bolt action with an automatic safety. It has a loading tray, and the receiver is grooved for tip-off scope mounts.

Some things that will help to know.

Pistol grip or straight stock?

Automatic cocking, or did you have to pull a separate cocking knob?

Were any parts of the action chrome plated - the bolt, for example?

Was the stock checkered?
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Not a lot of info, but it sounds like a Model 67. They have a mild collector interest (mainly because of the name) but there were so many that they have to be in near-new condition to bring more than about $100-150. Super good ones or NIB can bring close to $300.

Google "Winchester Model 67" for more info than I can give you here.

Jim
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. Boisepatriot

Boisepatriot New Member

Thanks all for the replies so far.

The stock seemed pretty standard "rifle" to me. Not pistoly like a match rifle.

Automatic cocking. The safety tab was directly on top of the charge handle. Maybe some parts of the bolt were chromed? The stock was a beautiful light blonde, with no checking or any other artwork.

Grandpa was a Saipan/Okinawa Marine, well off, and an avid collector. The first 22 he have me was a junky old cheapo. I have my suspicions that this Winchester was a "pretty good" piece of hardware.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  6. whatugawkinat

whatugawkinat New Member

I have my Winchester Model 121 right beside me...

1. Flat and grooved bolt activated safety
    2. Grooved scope mount on receiver
    3. Loading groove
    4. Single shot

Everything but the bolt removal fits your description, Mine is removed by pushing down a "claw" that locks the bolt in place. Just look up Winchester Model 121 and see if she's your gun. Hope you get it back.
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

The fact that you describe the safety as a "Tab" directly above the cocking handle rather than a knob or latch or some other description sounds like a Winchester model 67 as some have suggested. Only it's not auto cocking.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  8. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    NOT a 67 because a 67 does not set the safty when you close the bolt. A 67 and the 67A both have a manual saftey taht you have to flip over once you pull the cocking button backwars to cock it. I have my first 22 that was given to me in 1966 which was given to my father in 1946 and it is a Winchester Model 67. I also have a 67A and a 67 boys rifle which is shorter than the original 67. So trust me, not a 67!
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

over the years no one has a picture of it?
  10. Boisepatriot

Boisepatriot New Member

All the 121 pics I saw seemed quite familiar (recall, I haven't seen my gun for nearly two years). The stamped safety lever; the springs on the side of the bolt that guide it, and provide resistance to keep it from sliding around without deliberate fore-aft movement; mine did not have a sling/rings, so if it were a 121, it is not a "Deluxe."

Am I mis-remembering the bolt removal tricks?

Thanks everyone for re-opening this "cold case."
  11. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The only other self-cocking Winchester single-shot .22 that I know of is the Model 47.
    It does set the safety every time the bolt is cycled too. the safety lever is right near the base of the bolt handle like the 121 but it's shaped differently.
    I've only seen two or three in person but they do turn up every now and then around here. It was a fairly pricy single-shot at the time so I'm sure most of the broke farmers in my area just popped for the cheaper 67 instead.

The 47 was made from 1949-1954
    It's listed in the Thomas Henshaw book "The History of Winchester Firearms, 1866-1992" on page 131.
    My scanner is on the fritz otherwise I could scan the page for ya.
    No grooved receiver for scope mounting on the 47.
    The bolt and trigger will be chrome plated on a 47.

The 121 is on Page 159 of the same book.
    It was made from '67 to '73.
    I have never seen a 121 that had any chromework on the bolt. They are fully blued from what I remember.

Just a basic hardwood (birch, maple, etc) stock on the 121. A 47 should have walnut.
  12. Boisepatriot

Boisepatriot New Member

Neither the 47 nor the 67 seem familiar.

Certainly no chrome trigger, certainly scope grooves.
  13. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

almost sounds like my mossberg model 142k
  14. whatugawkinat

whatugawkinat New Member

If need be I can take a few good pics of my 121 detailing the safety, inner workings, bolt and stock...as soon as I figure out why my camera isn't saving pictures -.- But my is it hard to figure out an old gun, not exactly well known AND a not very vivid memory of it haha. Hope you figure it out, after hearing your story I just might line up my guns and give them a good photo-shoot and make copies...just in case :D
  15. whatugawkinat

whatugawkinat New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's my Model 121 Win. I just took pics of the most recognizable parts so I hope that helps, there's not much for images on Google for these.
  16. Boisepatriot

Boisepatriot New Member

Wow, thanks.

That safety lever looks mighty familiar. Is there a red dot on it somewhere?

Must be a 121, I guess. Slight chance we might get it back; buttmunch has been apprehended on a felony home-invasion/kidnapping charge.
  17. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  18. whatugawkinat

whatugawkinat New Member

Red dot? there is an indent on the back of the bolt that might have been painted red...but there are no red dots lol
  19. Boisepatriot

Boisepatriot New Member

Yeah, mine was certainly self cocking.
  20. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

My 1st rifle was a 121. Dad bought us each one 40+ years ago, and we all still have them. VERY accurate for a $50 rifle. :eek:

Your description sounds exactly like mine until ya got to the bolt removal part. :( Mine comes out by depressing a little tab in the receiver chamber. No trigger work required.

Can't help ya with a value though.