Please help identify and value a pair antique pistols

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dmerz2, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dmerz2

dmerz2 New Member

This pair of antique pistols has been called dueling pistols by some and target pistols by others. Each pistol is 16 inches long and 7 inches high with a 9 1/2 inch barrel. The guns are numbered "1" and "2". Inscribed on the top of the barrel is: Fr. Jaeger Hofbuchenmachen Wiesbaden. On one side of the barrel is inscribed "Guss" and on the other side "Stahl". I think he caliber is .36

Please help identify and value these pieces. Thanks, in advance, for any and all information. Doug

PS: I several more pics but only 4 were allowed.

Attached Files:

2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Are they rifled or smoothbore?
  3. dmerz2

dmerz2 New Member

I am not a gun expert - I think they are smoothbore.

Attached Files:

4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Very nice rifled target pistols; Guss Stahl = cast steel.

The rear sight appears to have adjustable elevation.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A beautiful pair of pistols and refreshingly plain for that era. A Google search turned up other guns by Fr. (Franz?) Jaeger, most very elaborately engraved and inlaid.

"Hofb├╝chsenmacher" means gun maker to the court, presumably at that time (c. 1840-1850) the court of the Duke of Nassau whose seat was at Wiesbaden. That does not mean that the guns were made for the Duke (it is like the British "By Appointment To..."), and the guns' plainness indicates they were made for someone far less wealthy than they Duke of Nassau.

Wiesbaden is in the south of Germany, near Frankfurt am Main, and is (or was) the site of a large U.S. Army installation.

I don't think they are duelling pistols, because true duellers would be smoothbore and have no sights or only a front sight. I would call them high quality target pistols. The pistols are certainly German with something of the French influence. I would value the pair at around $4000, much more if there is a case with accessories.

Jim
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. dmerz2

dmerz2 New Member

Thanks, very much, to Jim K & hrf for their informative comments. I would appreciate any additional comments or valuations. I will probably try to sell these pistols. DBM
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If you plan to sell them, my suggestion for appraisal and exposure would be one of the large gun auctions, such as Rock Island in IL, Amoskeag in NH, or Bonhams in CA.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If you do decide to auction them, we would appreciate knowing what you get for them.

Jim
  9. dmerz2

dmerz2 New Member

Jim K & hrf,

In your opinion, which of the three actions mentioned would be best for my pistols? Thanks for your thoughts. DBM
  10. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

For comparison is a similar pair, but duelling pistols, from collectorsfirearm.com. Arguably the largest dealer in collectible guns - and for sure up there in pricing. Like a few others, you pay for the confidence you gain in dealing with a merchant of EXE repute.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/pair-of-belgian-made-dueling-pistols-ah3153/

If this doesn't bring up the pictures, go to-- collectorsfirearms.com --and find it with all their perc pistols.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  11. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

I believe they came from a boxed set of dueling pistols. If they had the box, they would be worth several thousand. Without it, about $1500.
  12. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Maybe 1500 each.
  13. dmerz2

dmerz2 New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hrf
    If you plan to sell them, my suggestion for appraisal and exposure would be one of the large gun auctions, such as Rock Island in IL, Amoskeag in NH, or Bonhams in CA.
    Jim K & hrf,

In your opinion, which of the three actions mentioned would be best for my pistols? Thanks for your thoughts. DBM
  14. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I listed those three to cover midwest and both coasts, but have no direct experience with them.

However, I'm impressed by Rock Island's marketing.
  15. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Rock Island paid me for a part missing from one of their guns I bought. Some of the others won't even discuss issues.