Please help identify & appraise S & W 22 Long Rifle CTG

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Franklin T, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Franklin T

Franklin T New Member

Have a S&W Long Rifle CTG Serial number 529508 Smith and wesson Springfield Mass USA. Patent february 8.08 September 1409. Under barrel there is a B then a sort of diamond with a B inside it then the serial number 529508. Under the area where the cylinder pivots it says 45172. On the grip frame it has a star and a serial number. On frame under left grip is difficult to read but it's a two digit number - the first digit is either a 6 or a 5 and the second digit is either a 5 or a 3. Below that says 4.45 and another diamond with a B in it. Four scews hold the side plate on. Smith and Wesson trademard stamped on left side of frame.

I was told it might be a military trainer for the 32 cailber. Does anybody know anything about this pistol and it's value? I see nothing that says it's a K frame - only B's stamped on this one. Thank you.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

With that serial number, it sounds like a Bekeart. Got a picture?
  3. Franklin T

Franklin T New Member

Yes - here you go. Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Serial number on the bottom of the grip, or the front strap? Round butt or square? Grips appear to be replacments, which make it difficult. Pix is full of shadows, which make it hard to spot details. The front sight does not look like it agrees with the picture I have of what I think you've got, but that could be shadow. I'd also like to see a clearer shot of that rear sight, from the R/H side.
  5. Franklin T

Franklin T New Member

Hi -

After removing the grips, found the serial number is on the front strap. The butt - the corners are rounded - the back part is rounded more than the front. I apologize for the quality of the photos - I have the world's crappiest camera. And I am new at this. Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files:

6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That missing top screw on the sideplate was what was throwing me.

A San Francisco dealer named Bekeart got in contact with S&W and had them make up a bunch of 22 target-sighted revolvers, on the "heavy" 32 "I" frame. The I frame is only heavy compared to the 22 frame, which is the "M", and is extremely small.

Recessed chambers started in 1935, at SN 525600, so that should put your gun right at around '35 or '36. They were made through 1941, SN 536384.

So, your friend's theory about "military trainer for the 32" is wrong.

S&W frame sizes:
    M was for the 22.

I was for the 32 (6 shot) and 38 S&W (5-shot).

When they decided to put the 38 Special in that frame, first they lengthened it and made it slightly stronger, calling it the "improved I", then made it a little bit bigger and stronger again, and called it the "J".

The 6-shot 38 Special size is the "K" frame.

The 6-shot 44 frame is the "N".

They originally made 357s on the N frame, but cops thought it was too heavy for holster carry every day. They then made some 357s on the K frame, but decided it was not really strong enough for it. They made a frame that was bigger than the K, but smaller than the N, especially for the 357, and called it the "L".

Then they have the new giant one, for the 500 Smith, called the X.

One of them, in this pic, is marked "C". Don't know what's up with that. Never heard of a "C" frame.

Attached Files:

7. Franklin T

Franklin T New Member

The only thing I know that is wrong with the gun is that the screw is missing. It fires fine. Yes, I think you're right, the grips must be the wrong ones. Do you have any idea of the value of this gun? Thanks so much for your help.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've got a book that lists values from 175 up to about 700, depending upon condition. My book is several years old, so the values are out of date. Problems are, your gun is a specialized piece - not a whole lot of collectors are looking for that particular gun. Another problem is it's not in the best of condition. It has replacement grips (and that lowers value), is missing at least one part (again, value goes down) and looks to have very little of the original finish on it. I'd put it in "poor" to "fair" condition, based on these pix, and SWAG it at about 300.

Probably not what you were hoping to hear.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The top picture in #3 seems to show the bottom rear of a square butt edging out from the wood grips. I would like to see the gun with the grips off and also the serial number. The diamond markings and star indicate factory rebuild/refinish, possibly more than once. The sideplate screw should be available from parts dealers; unless the original screw is broken off in the frame, replacement is simply screwing it in.

Jim
  10. Franklin T

Franklin T New Member

Well - of course you'd always hope for more money.... but 300$ is not bad for something I paid 40$ for. I got what I really wanted - some idea of what I had and what it was worth - and for that I really thank you. Was really my first time with this sort of thing - and I appreciate all the help.