Please help identify this 32 cal rimfire rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dshea, Jun 23, 2011.

1. dshea

dshea New Member

This single shot 32 cal rimfire rifle has a rolling block action, a 24 inch 5-groove barrel that measures 7/8” across the flats, and is 41” overall. The photos provide additional detail as to marking, etc. The photo with the “L E G” in a circle is from the left side of the barrel near the breech. The photo with the other markings is from the bottom of the barrel. There is a “Z” with a small star above it on both the barrel and the action. Any ideas as to manufacturer and timeframe?

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The LEG star is a Belgian black powder proof, used from 1810 on. The Z with a star over it is a Belgian inspector's mark, from 1924 or later. I can't identify the other marks.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Does it have rifling or is it a smooth bore. It looks to a Flobert style " Garden rifle " designed to shoot 32 caliber rimfire shot shells. The action looks too weak to be anything else. It is not a falling block action.Or since I looked at the picture again ( saw the sights ) it could be a Flobert type designed to shoot low power 32 Rim Fire, loaded with only the primer and a very low charge of powder. Design for indoor or close confines shooting sports.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. dshea

dshea New Member

Please tell me more about "Flobert". Is this a manufacturer?

Could a state-side gunsmith have bought the Belgian barrel and action and have assembled the rifle here? The same "\\ ||||" hash marks appear on the barrel, stock, and action.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>Please tell me more about "Flobert". Is this a manufacturer? <

Well, yes and no. Like the original adjustable open-end wrench was made by Crescent tool company, but now everybody makes one and they are all called "crescent wrench", M. Flobert came up with an idea (that's "flow-bear", by the way, not "flow-bert") for a low-powered action and cartridge, for indoor target practice. Lots of makers started copying it, and they are pretty much all called "Floberts", now matter who actually made it.
  6. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Flobert is one of the most mis-used terms seen in the forums. Flobert is the name of the inventor of its type of action that the HAMMER SERVES AS THE BREECH BLOCK. The massive hammer has the firing pin on it which fires the cartridge. Flobert cartridges were of very low power, mostly only with priming and no powder, used primarily for amusement shooting in-doors. Date from pre-1850.

In recent times it has become common to call a "Flobert" any simple single shot that loads without breakdown. We see pistols and rifles with rolling blocks, falling breech, hinge breeches, etc. being mis-labeled.

The true Flobert has no breech block other than its massive hammer. You can check it out on google.
  7. dshea

dshea New Member

Alright. In your opinion, where was this rifle made? Based on your experience, is it more likely to have been made in America with Belgian parts, or Belgian-made?
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It was made in Belgium and it's a parlor rifle. Other than that I don't know.
  9. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The gun shown is a rolling block, not a Flobert, even though Sears in 1902 offered a similar one as a "Remington System Flobert"

It's a legal antique in the USA, as a crown was added to the ELG in oval Liege proofmark in 1893.

The littlegun site shows a revolver with the crown over JJ mark your gun has, but lists several possible makers it may have identified:

http://www.littlegun.be/arme belge/artisans identifies i j k/a jaspar j gb.htm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  10. dshea

dshea New Member

Thanks, guys! Great answers. Mystery resolved.

Dan
  11. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Thank you Alpo. I learn something new from you guys every time I visit this site.