1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Please help me ID this Black powder rifle

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tcfootball, Jul 21, 2010.

1. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

I cannot seem to find the model of this black powder rifle. I do know it is a Navy Arms Co. .45 cal with a rifled octagonal barrel. A friend said he thought it was a model made for Cabelas. Here are some pics.

EDIT: Ramrod is fiberglass, so I think it isn't too old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance. Mike
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

*Moderator* if I have this miscategorized, please move for me. Thanks, Mike
  3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I think that was called the "Morse" rifle.
  4. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

Thank you! I will try to find more info on it now.
  5. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

Only extra info found is that it is a replica. of what I do not know yet and it has a twist of 1 in 60. Any addition info would be helpful. I would like to find a user manual or exploded view if any one has one. Thanks again
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Yours looks like the Navy Arms Morse I saw on Auction Arms recently...

Don't confuse it with the Morse Carbine...different animal altogether.
    Morse Carbine looks like this...and was a cartridge-firing carbine.
    [​IMG]
  7. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

So I assume these are fairly rare because I cannot find much info on them, but also not very valuable. I am planning on cleaning it up and using it. Now I just need to read up on how to use and care for black powdered rifles. I bought this from the neighbor kid for $20. Seemed like a good deal :)
  8. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Evidently this was a model which Navy Arms sold many years ago - I cannot find much info either.

Yes, you got a great deal! Have fun with it! I would recommend the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook, it covers all the basics and then some.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

shoot patched round balls. the slow twist wont stabilize the modern conicals and saboted bullets...
  10. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

thanks for the replies everyone! I have a lot to learn about black powder. My experience is with military rifle and machine guns.
  11. John W.

John W. New Member

A little late in coming but I just found this forum . I have a Morse 50 myself. I've had it for about 10-12 years. I got it as a gift. If you haven't found out anything about it yet go to this page and print it. http://www.navyarms.com/files/morse.pdf I'm trying to find if it's worth anything too. If you've found anything could you let me know? It's a great shooter. I've been using 90 grains of 2f but after reading the loads used in the .45 maybe I'm overloading it. Regardless , mine shoot's the best with that load and patched round. Sounds like a cannon though. Looking forward to hearing from you.
  12. John W.

John W. New Member

13. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

John thanks for the link. I haven't had time to mess with the rifle in quite a while. I am looking forward to firing it soon!