Please help me ID this Black powder rifle

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tcfootball, Jul 21, 2010.

1. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

I cannot seem to find the model of this black powder rifle. I do know it is a Navy Arms Co. .45 cal with a rifled octagonal barrel. A friend said he thought it was a model made for Cabelas. Here are some pics.

EDIT: Ramrod is fiberglass, so I think it isn't too old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance. Mike
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

*Moderator* if I have this miscategorized, please move for me. Thanks, Mike
  3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I think that was called the "Morse" rifle.
  4. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

Thank you! I will try to find more info on it now.
  5. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

Only extra info found is that it is a replica. of what I do not know yet and it has a twist of 1 in 60. Any addition info would be helpful. I would like to find a user manual or exploded view if any one has one. Thanks again
  6. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Yours looks like the Navy Arms Morse I saw on Auction Arms recently...

Don't confuse it with the Morse Carbine...different animal altogether.
    Morse Carbine looks like this...and was a cartridge-firing carbine.
    [​IMG]
  7. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

So I assume these are fairly rare because I cannot find much info on them, but also not very valuable. I am planning on cleaning it up and using it. Now I just need to read up on how to use and care for black powdered rifles. I bought this from the neighbor kid for $20. Seemed like a good deal :)
  8. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Evidently this was a model which Navy Arms sold many years ago - I cannot find much info either.

Yes, you got a great deal! Have fun with it! I would recommend the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook, it covers all the basics and then some.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

shoot patched round balls. the slow twist wont stabilize the modern conicals and saboted bullets...
  10. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

thanks for the replies everyone! I have a lot to learn about black powder. My experience is with military rifle and machine guns.
  11. John W.

John W. New Member

A little late in coming but I just found this forum . I have a Morse 50 myself. I've had it for about 10-12 years. I got it as a gift. If you haven't found out anything about it yet go to this page and print it. http://www.navyarms.com/files/morse.pdf I'm trying to find if it's worth anything too. If you've found anything could you let me know? It's a great shooter. I've been using 90 grains of 2f but after reading the loads used in the .45 maybe I'm overloading it. Regardless , mine shoot's the best with that load and patched round. Sounds like a cannon though. Looking forward to hearing from you.
  12. John W.

John W. New Member

13. tcfootball

tcfootball New Member

John thanks for the link. I haven't had time to mess with the rifle in quite a while. I am looking forward to firing it soon!