The Firearms Forum banner

Please help me identify

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 ·
I was given the following about fifty years ago. I still have no idea what it is. Barrel is brass and seems too light to fire a shot. Pictures included. There are no identifying letters or numbers.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Possibly a line throwing gun--not the arrow launcher type, but
the kind that launches a rocket like a Schermuly.

Maybe it is a signal rocket launcher?

What does the hammer hit when it falls? I don't se a nipple for a cap---does it impact
something that sticks through from the barrel?

#6 ·
My guess is a net gun, used to capture birds or small animals alive...activiated by a trip wire to trigger.

#8 ·
Best bet would be some sort of trap gun.The rod under the barrel with the eye loop probably runs the length of the tube under the barrel,and probably had some sort of way to attach a bait or tripline on the end near the muzzle,rather like the old Furgetter trap gun(was available in .22 and 10 ga.),but homebuilt or a patent model.Mechanism reminds me of the second version of the North & Couch trap pistol.Heard that were popular as a roo trap in Australia,Jack404 may have seen one before they were totally banned.

#9 ·
By the way,what part of the world are you in?Could help to narrow it down,depending on how active the hunting culture was in your area when it was made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.