Please help me identify

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by l. h. kimble, Dec 16, 2011.

1. l. h. kimble

l. h. kimble New Member

I was given the following about fifty years ago. I still have no idea what it is. Barrel is brass and seems too light to fire a shot. Pictures included. There are no identifying letters or numbers.

Attached Files:

2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Looks like it could be a flare pistol.
  3. BillM

BillM Active Member

Possibly a line throwing gun--not the arrow launcher type, but
    the kind that launches a rocket like a Schermuly.

Maybe it is a signal rocket launcher?

What does the hammer hit when it falls? I don't se a nipple for a cap---does it impact
    something that sticks through from the barrel?
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. l. h. kimble

l. h. kimble New Member

yes it does have a nipple for a cap.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It has a hole behind the trigger and a pulley mounted on the side. It's obviously designed to be fired remotely with a string but I don't see any way of mounting it to anything. Interesting.
  6. The Duke

The Duke New Member

My guess is a net gun, used to capture birds or small animals alive...activiated by a trip wire to trigger.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

folks came up with lots of things before regulations and anti gun idiots ..
  8. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Best bet would be some sort of trap gun.The rod under the barrel with the eye loop probably runs the length of the tube under the barrel,and probably had some sort of way to attach a bait or tripline on the end near the muzzle,rather like the old Furgetter trap gun(was available in .22 and 10 ga.),but homebuilt or a patent model.Mechanism reminds me of the second version of the North & Couch trap pistol.Heard that were popular as a roo trap in Australia,Jack404 may have seen one before they were totally banned.
  9. dustydog

dustydog New Member

By the way,what part of the world are you in?Could help to narrow it down,depending on how active the hunting culture was in your area when it was made.
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Note the notch in the rear upper part of the trigger guard and the pulley attached to the left side of the stock.
  11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The notch is in the front.