Please help on identifying rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Thedirtydrunk, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Thedirtydrunk

Thedirtydrunk New Member

Hello all friend of mine was going through his grandfather's things and came across an old rifle with a bayonet attached. Can anyone identify the year, maker, type? And yes this is the only picture we have. Thanks

[​IMG]

http://tinypic.com/r/oghnvd/6
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

looks like a arisaka type 97 or 99

have you a better pic ? especially of the markings along the top of the barrel

Oh and Welcome to the forums !
  3. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

It is definately an Arisaka--type 38, 97 (unlikely) or 99. The type 38 and 97 are about ..25 cal. with the latter having a turned down bolt. The type 99 is about a .30 cal. The bayonet is a Type 30--they came in several variations. A picture of the top of the receiver and of the side opposite the bolt would help narrow things down.
  4. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Looks like an Arisaka to me also
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It looks like a Type 99, BUT has the sling attachment of a WWII German Mauser. AFAIK, no Japanese rifle ever had that type of setup. And yes, I am aware of the Siamese Mauser and the Type I, both of which have sling swivels.

So either the rifle was built with parts of other rifles or is an oddity. Better pictures, closeups of the action, markings, and the sling setup are needed.

Jim
  6. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Would need better pictures, but the Arisaka carbines had that type of setup (side sling) and towards the end of the war, all kinds of variants were being cobbled together. Better pics would tell, but if there are no screw holes on the bottom of the buttstock, this long rifle likely came this way.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012