Please Help. Primer Problems.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by accident, Sep 12, 2009.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sometimes my primers won't seat to proper depth. I've readjusted it multiple times.

I have a Lyman progressive loader and I'm using a Lyman universal primer arm. I've adjusted the primer post on the tool everywhere it can go. Right now it will only set them in to flush with case. Is this ok, or does it have to be recessed? .003-.004?
  2. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

If its sitting flush, your good. Go grab so factory ammo. I don't think you'll see any that have the primer recessed.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

are you measuring the recess on the primer with calipers, or just feel? a surefire way to tell if you're NOT getting it seated all the way is to stand the round up on a hard flat surface. If you can lightly flick the round with your finger and it wobbles, then it's not deep enough. Your pockets may be fouled and you'll need to give them a quick turn with a pocket cleaner. I think that if your primer post was out of whack, you'd be having problems with every one.
    If you have a set of calipers with a depth gauge on the end, you can get an accurate measurement of your primer seating depth.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. accident

thanks appliancedude for the info & yes,jb-weld & duct tape & you can repair a nuclear reactor
  5. accident

woolleyworm thanks for info.i'm checking with dial caliper.i put calipers one on the tip of the neck the other on the primer.sometimes i can see daylight between the case and the caliper arm at the primer.sometimes its flush.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The primers do have to be recessed, they are not level with the case but will be "inside" the primer pocket .003 to .005 inches. If you run your fingernail over the end of the case you should just feel the primer below the base of the shell.

Since you live nearby me, maybe we can meet sometimes and talk about reloading, shooting, and so-forth. I work for the Post Office in Athens and my off days are Sunday and Monday. I live between Hull and Colbert right off Hwy 72. I am heading to work right now but here is my email if you want to contact me. g.d.moody@juno.com

EDIT: Information corrected.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Maybe I read the last post wrong but primers have be below flush by a couple of thousandths. If they are not then the legs of the anvil in the primer cup are not on the floor of the primer pocket. What happens is the firing pin has to give up energy to fully seat the primer to get the anvil totally backed up by the cartridge case before it can start to compress the primer pellet. The remaining energy may not be enough to do the job and you may get misfires. Also primers should ALL be seated exactly the same, case to case. If not the tool is broken, I would think.

I suggest "accident" call Lyman and find out why his primer arm is not working correctly. As stated before it may be dirty primer pockets but I highly doubt it. I reload on a fully progressive Dillon RL550B and I NEVER clean the primer pockets EVER on pistol calibers. All my primers seat as they are suppose to on cases perhaps reloaded a dozen times or more.

At one point I was having problems with primer seating so I called Dillon. They offered good advice and then they sent parts. I never had the problem again. Lyman should offer advice and send parts too, I would think!

LDBennett
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I use the same lyman press, save yourself a ton of headaches and remove that universal priming setup and buy a seperate hand press by rcbs or lee. Trust me the best place for that priming system is in the landfill. Do an internet search (google) on the Lyman universal priming system - 100% complaints. Lyman makes great stuff but this priming system is the ONLY exception I have found.
  9. accident

LDBennett-thanks for the answer.I'll call lyman monday & see what they say if i can find their #.
  10. accident

thx 312shooter. which hand primer is best? lee's is cheaper but i'll need the full set of shellholders.does it work ok?
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I personally use the rcbs universal handpress, no shelholders needed and primes anything from 32acp to 45-70! I'vs had zero failures. Should be able to find it for around 40 bucks.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

+1, seat em below flush!
  13. gdmoody

You are right LD, I typed it in "backwards" they should be .003 to .005 BELOW flush. I read the book a while back and just reversed what it was supposed to be. 1000 apologies
  14. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

My bad. You guys are right. You know, I've apperenty never looked hard enough. But then again I only recently realized how bad my eye site is and started wearing glasses. That couple thousandths of an inch, my eye site couldn't make out but sure enough its there. Even my reloads. I just never noticed. Go figure
  15. gdmoody

accident, I have never used the RCBS priming tool but what I have heard they are good. I have two of the Lee tools, one is set for large primers and the other for small. That way I don't have to change the priming "rod" when I change calibers, only the shell holder. I can say that the Lee always worked very well for me. I have noticed lately that it is getting a little harder to seat the primer, but I am not blaming that on the tool. I think "old age" has caused me to lose some of the strength in my hands.