1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Please help put a value on Nazi knife...

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by keuler, Oct 10, 2010.

1. keuler

keuler New Member

All- I would be grateful if you could help appraise the value of this Nazi knife.

I can't quite make out the cursive writing engraved on the blade, but its something like "Blut und Ehre!"

Thanks.

-keuler
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i believe i've seen knives like that in the 350 range, but i cant remember where. i could be completely off though
  3. stede

stede Member

Keuler, you have a HitlerJugend (Hitler Youth) knife. These are heavily reproduced but yours is authentic.
    The Hitler Youth was a Nazi politicized form of Boy Scouts, aged thirteen when they joined. They learned military drill and field skills; most of them ended up in the various branches of the German forces during WWII and many gave their lives- as 15 and 16 year-olds- fighting valiantly and to the death during the final conflagration of the Third Reich...
    Blut und Ehre means Blood and Honor, the oath of the HJ.
    I'm a bit out of touch with current prices for these, your piece suffers from the coarse sharpening scratches along the blade but is otherwise complete and collectible.
    The scratches do detract quite a bit from the value, I'm afraid.
    For a good valuation, post this thread on germandaggers.com.
    Best, Steve in Colorado
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Steve 100% mate

My father sold one maybe 10 years ago and got $300 USD from a gent in Michigan somewhere , it too had some scratches and a ding in the sheath and they have gone up since as he kept up with the values and often stated he regretted selling it when he did
    his was marked with the diamond too , he was told that was a NCO ranked knife the plain where for the youngun's and as the rank rose so did the embelishments, i dunno if thats 100% correct though as there where different "brigades" of HJ (hitler judend) and some i read, had their group emblem on them

this is the exact same as the one my dad sold

it too still had the makers seal on it , it was never issued, it was found as part of the occupation forces with the Brit's , they found a bombed warehouse and his was found in there with quite a few others that where in even better condition , my father openly admits he traded his beer ration for the knife , he was outside in a bren gun carrier when all this stuff was found , he also had a unissued Knights Cross and a few other bits , not bad for a pint of beer ..

sold the lot for under a grand , now worth maybe 5-6 grand

http://www.militarycollectiblesinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=da00709

and this is a page that will teach you a lot about them and copies

http://www.lakesidetrader.com/HJlesson.html
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  5. stede

stede Member

Jack- imagine all the goodies your dad could've scored at that time! But he was an Aussie...:
    The Germans go to war for Conquest,
    The French go to war for Honor,
    The British go to war for the Queen,
    The Yanks go to war for the souveniers!
    Heh... HJ knives had no variations due to rank except the leaders dagger which was an entirely different style. (and are usually relatively crudely made, a distinct difference from most Nazi daggers).
    There was a knife made without the blade inscription or the 'swastika-in-diamond' for general purchase in Nazi Germany for the younger kids who would eventually progress to the HJ, and another with the red and black diamond inset in the grip (sans swastika), this was for the sports organization...
  6. keuler

keuler New Member

Thanks all. Based on the links you sent, looks like I could get between $500 and $700 for the HJ knife. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer/buyer for the knife, internet or otherwise? (I live in San Jose, CA).

:)
  7. stede

stede Member

Keuler, you might be a touch optimistic with those prices but the knife will fetch what a collector is willing to pay. Your best bet is to post your knife on germandaggers.com; these are the hard core collectors and the forum has a For Sale list. Best, Steve
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Too bad they did the blade like that-could have been worth alot more than 300