1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Please help....Ruger M-77 Flat Bolt .308

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by NEMW, Oct 8, 2006.

1. NEMW

NEMW New Member

Hi,
    I recently got hired as a police officer and decided to sell some of my rifles so I could afford a nice off-duty pistol when I get out of the academy. When I was 12-13 I purchased a Ruger m-77 Mark 1 at a gun auction for a store that was going under. I purchased the rifle (in near mint condition) for $190 which was a steal and remember it being tagged as "flat-bolt". Anyways, 10 years pass by, I shoot it on maybe 5-6 occasions, and I figure I'll try to look it up again before I put it up for sale. Well it turns out it was only made for one year and I have found a couple shops selling the exact same flat bolt model for $795-$1450! Basically, I was hoping any of you "old-timers" could give a 22 year old rookie cop some advice on it's blue book value, its history, and if I should sell it now or hold on to it for a while. The specs are below:

Ruger M-77 .308 "flat-bolt"
    Serial # 70-06617
    Condition: Bluing good, bore seems fine w/ a little copper fouling, one scratch on the stock 1" long that doesn't interfere w/ the finish, I would say it is VGC
    Extras:It didn't come w/ the rings so I but a set of Ruger ones and a tasco 3x9x40 scope.

Thanks a lot,
    nolanwengert@hotmail.com
  2. NEMW

NEMW New Member

Also, if it would help I can post/send some good pictures of it
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Rugers records are at best limited by there own admission, for what that`s worth (warm spit)

M77 Tang safety rifles begin at: 70-14532 for a 1970 Rifle.

In 1969 they began with 1912, there is no mention of a zero series after the "70-"

Gunna have to do better.

Flat bolt Rugers have come into they`re own, but who really knows what they will "really" bring.

Flat bolts do command a premium, but caliber also dictates too.

LTS
  4. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

This will be interesting!
  5. NEMW

NEMW New Member

Well I just double-checked the serial # and that is what it is stamped. It definetly does have the tang safety and I just noticed that under the bolt handle it has just 6617 etched in.

Thanks for the help
  6. NEMW

NEMW New Member

some pictures, maybe they might help?
    [​IMG]
  7. NEMW

NEMW New Member

8. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Dude---I have a 77 flat bolt 22/250 with a 3x9 Leupold scope that I am selling for $695 postpaid------if thats any help. Goes about 97-98%:cool:
  9. have2rotties

have2rotties New Member

My advice to you is don't sell it. It looks like a nice rifle, you've had it since you were very young, and it is somewhat of a oddity. I can promise you, you will hate yourself for getting rid of it. Do what you have to do to get your self an OD weapon, take out a loan, etc., but I would hang on to the Ruger.
    Good luck,
    -J-