Please help....Ruger M-77 Flat Bolt .308

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by NEMW, Oct 8, 2006.

1. NEMW

NEMW New Member

Hi,
    I recently got hired as a police officer and decided to sell some of my rifles so I could afford a nice off-duty pistol when I get out of the academy. When I was 12-13 I purchased a Ruger m-77 Mark 1 at a gun auction for a store that was going under. I purchased the rifle (in near mint condition) for $190 which was a steal and remember it being tagged as "flat-bolt". Anyways, 10 years pass by, I shoot it on maybe 5-6 occasions, and I figure I'll try to look it up again before I put it up for sale. Well it turns out it was only made for one year and I have found a couple shops selling the exact same flat bolt model for $795-$1450! Basically, I was hoping any of you "old-timers" could give a 22 year old rookie cop some advice on it's blue book value, its history, and if I should sell it now or hold on to it for a while. The specs are below:

Ruger M-77 .308 "flat-bolt"
    Serial # 70-06617
    Condition: Bluing good, bore seems fine w/ a little copper fouling, one scratch on the stock 1" long that doesn't interfere w/ the finish, I would say it is VGC
    Extras:It didn't come w/ the rings so I but a set of Ruger ones and a tasco 3x9x40 scope.

Thanks a lot,
    nolanwengert@hotmail.com
  2. NEMW

NEMW New Member

Also, if it would help I can post/send some good pictures of it
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Rugers records are at best limited by there own admission, for what that`s worth (warm spit)

M77 Tang safety rifles begin at: 70-14532 for a 1970 Rifle.

In 1969 they began with 1912, there is no mention of a zero series after the "70-"

Gunna have to do better.

Flat bolt Rugers have come into they`re own, but who really knows what they will "really" bring.

Flat bolts do command a premium, but caliber also dictates too.

LTS
  4. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

This will be interesting!
  5. NEMW

NEMW New Member

Well I just double-checked the serial # and that is what it is stamped. It definetly does have the tang safety and I just noticed that under the bolt handle it has just 6617 etched in.

Thanks for the help
  6. NEMW

NEMW New Member

some pictures, maybe they might help?
    [​IMG]
  7. NEMW

NEMW New Member

8. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Dude---I have a 77 flat bolt 22/250 with a 3x9 Leupold scope that I am selling for $695 postpaid------if thats any help. Goes about 97-98%:cool:
  9. have2rotties

have2rotties New Member

My advice to you is don't sell it. It looks like a nice rifle, you've had it since you were very young, and it is somewhat of a oddity. I can promise you, you will hate yourself for getting rid of it. Do what you have to do to get your self an OD weapon, take out a loan, etc., but I would hang on to the Ruger.
    Good luck,
    -J-