Please help value WWI US Army Colt 1911 pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by HPMOSSII, May 12, 2012.

1. HPMOSSII

HPMOSSII New Member

My father recently passed away and my brother, sister, and I are going through his things. We are attempting to value them for possible sale. One item is a US Army Colt 1911 pistol that was originally issued to my grandfather in WWI. My father was subsequently authorized to carry this pistol during his service in WWII & the Korean War.

On left side of pistol it says:
    PATENTED APR.20.1897.SEPT.9.1902
    DEC.19.1905.FEB.14.1911.AUG.19.1913
    UNITED STATES PROPERTY

Then to right of that it says:
    COLT'S PT.F.A.MFG.CO.
    HARTFORD,CT. U S A

On right side of pistol it says:
    MODEL OF 1911.U.S.ARMY
    No 276973

I do not have any experience with guns to gauge how much wear this pistol has. After looking at the pictures I’m attaching, please let me know if there are specific aspects you need to know in order to establish a value to this pistol.

Attached Files:

2. larrybtoast

larrybtoast New Member

You have a very rare piece of militaria. I am no expert by any means, but there is no such thing as an inexpensive original 1911
  3. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

without the last 2 digits, whats the part #?

sorry I seen it up at the top there. your gun was made in the popular run of 1918. actually the biggest period! just before (I think) the slide was revised. someone else will have to value it. I think you'll be surprised
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. yetiman

yetiman New Member

I hope you are asking value for insurance reasons only! Amazing family history.