Please help with finding the value of a winchester model 70 30 06

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by welder2980, Oct 4, 2009.

1. welder2980

welder2980 New Member

I could use a little bit of help on finding the value of a winchester model 70 30 06 rifle the serial number is 419045. I have not had any luck on the internet as far as getting a straight answer. So again I have a winchester model 70 30.06 rifle with serial numbers 419045 that is in good condition. Thanks for any and all information that you may be able to provide to me about this firearm.
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

welder2980,

Your M70 was made in 1957. It's retail price back then was $125.00. As a pre 64 mod 70 it has collector value. How much depends totally on the condition it is in. the 30/06 rifles are the most common caliber, and because of this, they are at the lower end of the value chain of these rifles. You state it is in "good" condition. NRA rules of firarms condition ratings, say a "good" rating is "wear evident on the metal and wood parts, some rust many be presant, as well as minor pitting. Dings and gouges in the stock, but all parts are preasant, and the gun is operable. M70's standard rifles in 30/06 that only make "good" bring less than $750, and the action alone is worth $500.
    What I am getting at is the reason you have not been able to get a "straight answer" as to the value is based on the condition of these rifles. From "New in the box" that might bring as much as $3K, to one that is worth basically what the salvage value of the parts is, or around $500. I suggest you familiarize your self with firearms condition ratings. Remeber, less than 95% rating condition will hurt the value quite alot. Collectors want pristine guns, and are willing to pay for them. Well used examples bring considerably less. www.stevebarnettfineguns.com is a site you might want to check, As well as www.cabelas.com (click on "gun Library") you will find many very nice M70's and prices there for collector grade rifles.

Please post some pictures of both sides of your rifle and full length shots as well as detail shots. With these we can have an idea of the condition of your rifle. This will let us better determine what it might be worth. We hope to give you a "straight" answer for yours if you do.

Best regards, Kirk
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  3. shermanhopemd

shermanhopemd New Member

I have an unused (new) Winchester 30-06 model 70 with a Weaver K4 scope with the serial number 717672. Is this a pre 1964 rifle that has the higher collector's value or the post 1964. The Blue Book states that 1964 serial numbers begin with 700,000 - but lists the first number in 1964 as 740599. Could you please give me an estimate of the value.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

I doubt very seriously it is a pre 64 and the best way you can tell is that the first post 64 guns were not a control feed like the old ones or the the newest ones. If your gun has an exterior extractor that runs along side the bolt it is a pre 64 but if the bolt has nothing along its side it is a post 64. Unfortunately the very first post 64 guns do not bring much, I would guess that your gun even in nice shape would be worth about $300.00, assuming it is a post 64. If it is a pre 64 see 300 H&H post, he is right on.

Ron