Please help with ID on this Bayonet.

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/26/01 6:48:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Please help with ID on this Bayonet.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I give up, I've looked all over the net trying to ID this bayonet please help.

I can make the name out as Sanderson. About the only reference I have to help ID this bayonet is this web site http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/brit_bayo.html#cypher-gb They have an entire list of markings, but I could not find any thing on this bayo.
    Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
    Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

Edited by: Flhunter at: 9/26/01 8:03:10 pm

Spanish Cruffler
    (9/27/01 5:41:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Please help with ID on this Bayonet.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It looks like an Enfield design, but not normal British markings, It may be Australian or New Zealand.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (9/27/01 9:45:14 am)
    Agree with Bob, without anymore information. What is the blade length and could we get a clear picture of the handle and tang and of the last 4" of the tip? LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 1:11:07 pm)
    Thanks for all the help so far. The bayonet measures a total length of 21 and 3/4 inches, the blade is 17 inches and the handle is 4 3/4 inches. I bought this thing at a yard sale in the late 70's. I have added a few more pic's to help aid in the IDing. If you need more or clearer pictures I will do my best to post them.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/27/01 2:19:11 pm)
    I still follow Bob`s line of thinking. Have you removed the handles and checked for proofs??? Does the pomel have any markings by the stake pins?? LTS

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 4:25:50 pm)
    I removed the handles as instructed and found a few markings on the handles and also the number 8 and what looked to be the letter P or R or even a B under the handles on the bayonet. There are a few more pictures below.

I felt strange removing the handles, felt something like I was doing something that has not be done in nearly 100 years.
    Anyways please let me know if there is anything else I can do. Also if there are any other good web sites that might be able to help.

From what you have seen so far what would you place as a value to this thing? I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $20.

This is the same part of the bayonet as the above picture. I took an extra picture to help with IDing the number and letter.

Spanish Cruffler
    (9/27/01 4:38:09 pm)
    I have heard the name Sanderson before, and I am racking my brain trying to remember. I am at work right now, and don't have any references handy. I am half way thinking it may have been a bayonet made for the P-17 Enfield - the American produced Enfield. I would place the value higher than $20 - probably more in the $30 - $35 range. Than again, it looks like a crude broad arrow mark on it - Canadian?

I be stumped. I would say it is definately an Enfield species though.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/27/01 5:54:54 pm)
    Made in Great Britan.
    "D" post 1925
    "R" probably "RE" and is refered to as "Remington Maker"
    The arrowhead looking symbol is the "Great Britan" proofmark.

ps/ we know what the "S" is, but after looking very hard at the picture of the "R" mark, there may not be an "E" after it, but all other marks are correct

I could be wrong, Nah!!!

Edited by: LIKTOSHOOT at: 9/27/01 7:02:50 pm

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 7:40:09 pm)
    Thanks for all the help. I have save the info and printed it out.

LTS...What does the "s" mean? I know zero about these things. Does it stand for "sanderson"?

The link here has a bunch of markings for bayonets, but I did not see(or missed) the one I have. www.radix.net/~bbrown/brit_bayo.html

oldguns.net/cgi-bin/f2f/f...catedw.htm

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

Edited by: Flhunter at: 9/27/01 8:40:44 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/27/01 8:08:59 pm)
    "S" is Sanderson, but I would really like to see the bayonet up close, is that another proof (Crown?Crest?) by the date in the first pictures? Bayonets are really cool, you never really know what you may have......that makes them cool. It could also be a reworked job and thats when a hands on can tell a little more. Look under bayonets of Great Britain and it will show the proof marks and makers, some are really cool....like issues to the Royal Guard, Light Brigade....and certain regiments of infantry. Thanks for sharing it. LTS

Bob In St Louis
    (9/27/01 8:47:04 pm)
    WWWAAAHHHH!!! LIKTOSHOOT beat me to it! I got home and looked it up, and by the time I got on here, you had answered it. The broadarrow had me fooled - it was a very rough/crude stamp. Normally the broadarrow is more pronounced.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/01 8:56:11 pm)
    Yes it is some sort of crown. I wish I had some chaulk around here maybe that would help to bring out some detail. I'll see what I can find in the kids room tomorrow. I tried to take a better pic of the crown but my batteries started to die in the camera, this is the best of the bunch before the batteries died.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/5/02 8:18:55 pm)
    My 2 cents, late but not never, is it's a P14 Enfield Bayo...

Did anybody else say that?

But then what the hell do I know about bayonets...(see the other post for my bayonets story...)

My only advice is do NOT sell it until you KNOW what you have. PERIOD. TRUST me.
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915