PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DARIN, Mar 9, 2010.

1. DARIN

DARIN New Member

I have searched high and low and I can`t find any primers! I need large magnum rifle primers and primers for my .40 S&W. Could someone please help me with this?? I found some on Midway`s website but their shipping charge is wayyy up there. For 2 boxes of a thousand each they were trying to charge me $27.00+ for the shipping and of course another $25.00 for the hazard fee. I have paid the hazard fee many times but for two boxes of primers I can`t see paying $27.00 Maybe I`m being a tight wad but with todays economy I can`t see that anyone could blame me.

Thanks in advance guys...and gals.
  2. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

no local stores?
  3. DARIN

DARIN New Member

Nope to the local store question. I have driven for 45 miles in three different directions and visited Gander Mount., Bass Pro, and 2 or 3 other large sporting goods stores. Blows my mind.
    Why did you give me a link to another forum???? No offense but I need info on a place to purchase primers. that forum looked brand new also. thanks though...
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

That is his signature, I'm assuming it is his website. Just as my signature is a Winchester 30-30.

Primers are hard to come by since Obama and his cronies thought of taxing ammo as a means of gun control. What I will do when I get close to running out of primers is buy a mess of them to offset the hazard fee. I was lucky enough to live 100 miles from a store that had primers for a short time.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a friend of mine in the US raves about these folks

http://www.wideners.com/

says they always get what he needs and are pretty cheap but some costs you cannot dodge

good luck eh
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I wouldn't know what other direction to send you, if you cant find primers locally and you won't pay the shipping charges then...? The only thing I could think of is try to network with other reloaders within a reasonable distance of you and convince them to buy a bulk order and split it. Lastly go to a gun show pay the rediculous entrance fees and deal with the traveling sideshow acts selling primers for $45-$50 per thousand.

You as well as 95% of the reloaders in the US are in the same boat here with components. The old saying " you gotta pay to play" applies these days to shooters and reloaders. I personally gave up some other hobbies and trimmed my budget to continue to reload.
  7. garydude

garydude Member

Try the real small stores, such as gun stores. The town I live in has bass pro, cabellas, etc. and they are always out, BUT I can find about anything I need in small mom/pop gun stores, and even an archery store had reloading components.
    If this doesn't work, I've seen listings on Craigslist for primers. This might be a source as well.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

www.grafs.com Shipping is free, haz mat is 22 bucks. If i were you i would order a 5000 case of LRM and a 5000 case of SP. your order total will be around 260 bucks. they process backorders quickly. I got in line last fall at the height of the shortage and I had them at my house within 5 weeks...
  9. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

I second what garydude says. I have found a small sporting goods store near me that has a steady supply of primers. For the last six months I've been able to get anything that I need. What part of the country do you live in?
  10. medalguy

medalguy Member

Yep, small stores often have primers. A local shop I visited last week had plenty of primers and I bought 5,000 Remington 7 1/2 primers for $32.50 per K. We had a gun show in Albuquerque last weekend and there were plenty of primers but the price was about $35 per K cheapest, up to $45 most expensive.

I ordered 15,000 Rem 7 1/2 primers from Powder Valley about three weeks ago and they shipped them on Friday, not too bad. If you want primers you will have to dig a little bit locally, or pay the hazmat charges which the shippers are required by federal law to charge. I would suggest either buy in bulk and you will be good for a long time, or get with other shooters and put in a group order and split the cost.
  11. RandyP

RandyP Member

Just me maybe, but $27 per K for primers seems a pretty good price. And like others have said, mostly nobody shops online for small quantities of hazmat components. Or if they do, they just accept the tithing.

If my choices were no shooting or paying some fees? I reckon I'm paying some fees - lol
  12. DARIN

DARIN New Member

The primers weren`t $27.00 The shipping for 2 boxes of a thousand was $27.00 with an additional hazmat fee. I find a $27.00 shipping fee extreme for the 2 small boxes. I make a few hundred orders from the internet each year and I also ship many items so I know that this fee is wayy high.

I do not need 5000 primers for the ammo that I am needing to reload at present. I wouldn`t use 5000 rounds in 7 years. I know that buying bulk would be a good idea and if I were buying for a few of my other calibers, this would be logical but for my hunting rifle this would be ridiculous. I appreciate the comments here very much. I have checked with a few of the links and found a few of them to have what I need so thanks again.
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They are out there. A half hour ago I bought 1000 Win. small pistol primers at a local shop. They weren't what I'd call a deal at $50 (including tax) but it beats paying shipping and haz-mat fees.