Please Instruct Me on .22 Ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dglockster, May 25, 2009.

1. dglockster

dglockster New Member

I have not fired a .22 since the early ‘60s and the only ammunition available where I grew up were the short, long, and long rifle rounds.

Now that I am interested in shooting .22 again, I see the following types of ammo (and there may even be others) and I have no idea what it is or whether it will be compatible with my old J.C. Stevens bolt-action, tube fed rifle.

.22 Stinger
    .22 Mini-Mag
    .22 Long CB
    .22 Short CB
    .22 Win Mag
    .22 Hornet
    .22 Jet
    .22 Savage

Any information provided will be appreciated because I’m guessing that in today’s world just because an ammo is labeled as “.22” doesn’t mean it will function with my rifle.

Thanks, in advance.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    .22 Stinger = LR
    .22 Mini-Mag = LR
    .22 Long CB = long
    .22 Short CB = short
    .22 Win Mag = WMR
    .22 Hornet = center fire
    .22 Jet = center fire
    .22 Savage = center fire

If I got anything wrong someone will be along in a few to correct me. Boy have you been missing out on a lot of fun!:D
  3. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Howdy dglockster,

Mandatory disclaimer: Check with a qualified gunsmith before shooting, selecting ammo, and following anyone's advice.

These are or should be OK to shoot in your rifle (though the latter two may not feed properly)...
    .22 Stinger
    .22 Mini-Mag
    .22 Long CB
    .22 Short CB

These are not and wouldn't chamber (to the best of my knowledge)...
    .22 Win Mag
    .22 Hornet
    .22 Jet
    .22 Savage

Some tutorials I suggest...
    22 Long Rifle Ammunition Specifications and Experience
    The .22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 Long Rifle By Chuck Hawks
    and .22 Long Rifle From Wikipedia

Basically your rifle can fire cartridges designated .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle. It should handle the Hypervelocity fodder as well (like the Stingers).
  4. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

Hey dglockster,

Welcome back to the wonderful world of .22. I would first check the rifle and/or owners manual (if you still have it or online) to verify what it is rated for (like "long rifle", "short", "long", or "Magnum"). This is usually stamped into the barrel. The first three "may" be interchangeable. But the Magnum stands alone. Then I would go to the store and buy some standard or high velocity .22 compatible with the rifle. If you have a decent gun shop in the area, don't be afraid to bring it in and have someone help you with it.

My Stevens mdl 15-B bolt action single shot has ".22 short, long, or long rifle" stamped into the top of the barrel.

The stingers are hyper-velocity; the mag's may not be appropriate for your chamber. they CB's are probably okay...they are extra quite. I'm not sure that your gun will cycle shorts though.

Happy shooting!

cb

thanks for the links, kilo!
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  5. dglockster

dglockster New Member

I appreciate the information. The rifle does take short, long, and long rifle so that shouldn't be a problem.

Just recently, I field stripped, cleaned, and oiled it so that should be good to go. I also cycled some LR rounds through it to check function and all worked as it should. I just haven't fired it yet and from what y'all have been kind enough to tell me, I'm looking forward to doing so (if I can find a place that has ammo to sell).
  6. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Glad we could help some...

Nice thing about those old boltguns is they shoot the cheap stuff...get some bulk pack .22's and have fun with it...