Please never JOKE around with your firearm.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bakerconch, Aug 3, 2011.

1. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

Back in the 70's, I had a friend who was cleaning his 45 ACP. He took it out of the case, dropped the mag and started cleaning the outside when "Gunsmoke" came on TV. He put his holster on and tried to out draw Marshall Matt Dillon. He pulled the gun, pointed the gun at Matt on TV, pulled the trigger, and promptly blew a hole in his TV. He missed the Marshall though. His TV had good sound but the picture just did not work anymore. Dummy forgot to rack the slide to finish clearing the gun. The sorry thing about the whole thing was he had his gun in base housing against the base rules and they had to move into the local town.

Yup, you just can't fix stupid!
  2. clamman

clamman Member

How about this! Im my "former" life, I was joking around with my .357 by pointing it at my tv. Saw someone I didn't like and blew him away. Later, my ex wife wanted to know why I have a new tv (kids told her) I sad my old one was SHOT lol. And no, there was no one in the house but me.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

.357 is a pretty potent round.. How many walls did it go thru before it stopped? Pretty high risk of collateral damage, especially if you have close neighbors.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

very good reminder-thanks
  5. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

In my life I have done 3 stupid things with guns:
    1. Shortly after I inherited my great-grandpa's .22 I wanted to see if it would still shoot, so i loaded it and shot it at our utility shed. In which a 5-gallon can of gasoline resided.
    2. A few months later, there were some rough looking men doing some work in our house, so I locked myself in my room and sat on my bed,with the .22 loaded and with a round in the chamber, pointed at the wall with the muzzle resting on my bed. Not paying attention to what I was doing I absentmindedly pulled the trigger, and CRACK!, shot a hole through my bed and doorframe.
    3. Two years ago, during my second hunting trip, I was unloading my Springfield XD45, and i muzzle-swept the guy standing next to me.

Needless to say, I have finally learned gun safety. But the root cause of these stupid stunts is this: when I first got the .22, instead of taking me up to the nearest gun club and having a certified firearms instructor teach me gun safety, my grandpa told me to put it up on the old rifle rack(which I had previously used for an old broken BB gun), and to leave it alone.

But being a teenager, that's not what I did, was it?
  6. bakerconch

bakerconch New Member

WOW. Scary stories are everywhere.
    I think we need to constantly remind ourselves of the basics of gun safety. All sports have basic fundamentals and are practiced daily even by the pros.
    Keep your finger OFF of the trigger until your sights are on target.
    NEVER point your gun at anything that you are not willing to shoot.
    If you shoot and miss your target, where is the bullet going?
    I am not a firearms instructor, I know that many of you on TFF are and have much more wisdome than me and this might be a good thread to share some. I am willing to learn more.
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would wager that if everyone were willing to tell on themselves, just about everyone has had some kind of close call or accident. I know I have. Years ago I had an accidental discharge while being in a hurry. It scared the daylights out of me and I will never forget it.
  8. H-D

H-D Active Member

I had a big scare once, a guy dropped a single barrel shotgun off at my dads while he was at work and I was at school we got home and my mom said "someone dropped a shogun off for you to look at" my dad asked "whats wrong with it?" she didnt remember so I took it outside with a 12ga shell shoved the shell in and closed it up and BOOOOOM the problem was that the firing pin stayed out.... luckily I didnt load it inside and had it pointed down range when i closed it..could have been a horror story for sure
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ill play..

Back when I was alot younger and just old enough to buy handguns I got me Heritage Roughrider SA revolver in .22mag. I was playing 'Doc Holiday' in the back yard fanning the hammer and getting pretty good at it. I drew and cocked the hammer for a single action shot and my wife hollered at me for somethin and I reholstered, and didnt lower the hammer. Then I said hey beck watch this.. I drew and squeezed the trigger to start fanning and it went off just as I cleared the holster (cause the hammer was cocked). the bullet struck the ground an inch right of my right foot and I had a nice powder burn on my waist where the muzzle and cylinder gasses expelled (.22 mag remember).. I about fainted. I thot I had just shot myself. Not once since then have I ever treated a loaded forearm as a toy. I leave the TV stuff on TV..
  10. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

lol yeah, if you want to do cowboy-action stuff, have someone who already does it to teach you fanning. It's a neat trick, you just need to know what and what not to do.:AR15firing:
  11. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I was sitting in my brother's living room in 95' cleaning our guns after shooting all day(I had my P90 and he had his 357 King Cobra). Next thing I know I hear a loud ringing. I looked at him and he was staring at his gun shocked. Needless to say there was a nice hole in his ceiling.

Now he checks his guns 3 or 4 times before he puts them up or cleans them.
  12. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I'm always checking my guns. I keep one loaded in the house, and the others are empty in the safe mags ejected. Every time I pick one up out of the safe, I check the chamber, and every time I put it back I check the chamber. Every time I hand a firearm to another person the gun is checked, and I don't like it when some one hands me a gun without doing the same. I will not accept it untill the show me the chamber is empty.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yup. open chambers when handing a weapon to another shooter.
  14. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

When I was a kid I remember swinging the barrel of my BB gun in a path that crossed my uncle's foot. My dad jumped up, grabbed the bb gun out of my hand and told me that I could have just blown my uncles foot right off his leg if that had been a rifle. My BB gun got locked up in my dad's closet for a month, but that was a good lesson I never forgot. Muzzle swing is one of my pet pieves now, and it pisses me off to a point of confrontation when somebody swings a muzzle in a path that crosses me or anybody else in the vicinity. I don't care if you have the action open with your pinky stuck in the breech of the barrel...watch that muzzle and make damn sure it doesn't cross paths with any part of a person.
  15. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

JLA wrote: "Back when I was alot younger and just old enough to buy handguns I got me Heritage Roughrider SA revolver in .22mag. I was playing 'Doc Holiday' in the back yard fanning the hammer and getting pretty good at it. I drew and cocked the hammer for a single action shot and my wife hollered at me for somethin and I reholstered, and didnt lower the hammer. Then I said hey beck watch this.. I drew and squeezed the trigger to start fanning and it went off just as I cleared the holster (cause the hammer was cocked). the bullet struck the ground an inch right of my right foot and I had a nice powder burn on my waist where the muzzle and cylinder gasses expelled (.22 mag remember).. I about fainted. I thot I had just shot myself. Not once since then have I ever treated a loaded forearm as a toy. I leave the TV stuff on TV.."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Josh, is this guy your mentor?

http://youtu.be/PfVZjbyzFGQ
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

har har har..
  17. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I knew you would appreciate that. lol