Please recommend a rifle(s).

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Sensei, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Sensei

Sensei New Member

I'm looking for an accurate bolt or lever action 22 rifle for hunting small game and learning better rifle skills.

What would you guys recommend?
  2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I like CZ's. I have them in 22lr, 22wmr, 17 Mach2 and 17 hmr. The Varmint is more for paper shooting, the American is more for hunting/paper shooting and the Lux is more for hunting. Just my opinion.
    There are many fine brands out you just have to find the one that fits you.
  3. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Brno-CZ542 is a tack driver out of the box.
  4. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

I'll second that!!! It is probably the best .22 for the money out there, and will hold its own in any company. :)
    As for the lever actions, the Marlin 39A is excellent, as is the now discontinued Win. M9422.
    I have never owned a Henry lever gun, but I have heard good things about them, have seen some with pretty nice walnut on them, and they are very affordable.
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  5. .22guy

.22guy New Member

I'd go with a Marlin 39A, although my personal .22 lever action is a Winchester 9422XTR that belonged to my dad. Marlins are nice though. My uncle has a Henry golden boy that he really likes, although I have never shot it.
  6. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

The term accurate has many meanings in the gun world and yours too. It defines what you need, not others. Now I am very much in the same room with S247 in these regards, I have little use for a MOA rifle or pistol, it must deliver sub MOA. While many think this is only available to bolt or block actions.....I will add the semi-auto in rimfire. Please view the picture below, this was fired from a Ruger77/22 MAG, converted to .17HMR. It has a 20" GM Heavy fluted stainless barrel(IN Special), a 10/oz JARD trigger and a 36X Fixed power Weaver fine target crosshair. This group was fired off a card table-hardly a benchrest by any means......but will give you the idea of this rifles ability.

This is one of what I call,,,,"The Triplets"
    Three Ruger 77`s, one 17HMR, One .22Mag, One .22LR, each with the "exact" same capabilities with only hole size varrying.
    I was told and continue to be told Rugers won`t shoot, so I guess I must own the only three out there that do---but again that is ok by me, I built them so they are mine to keep........sorta like kids but cost much less--LOL

The second target shows how to get used to a light trigger, touching off the shot prior to having aquired the target, LOL........this is a mirror of target one.

Now to the question of rifle, never ever over look good quality used .22`s "NEVER"

BSA Martini Actions AND Rifles are simple and sub MOA guns.......and have the very cool look going for them.

Anschutz makes a quality and accurate rifle, personally I never cared for them and probably never will (shame on me) but I can`t warm up to them.

Savage, Ruger, Cooper.....the list is very long, just like the ammo for them.

I have a thing for very old Mossbergs with 24-26" barrels because they simply shoot. You must understand my love for rimfire and it is not at the fifty yard line.....that is for pistols.

Find what appeals to you, what fits you. If you can test fire a few-if not use the appeal factor with a quality maker and it will be hard to do wrong.
    Shoot every brand of ammo made for it, because one might be great---but another may be excellent. That may be what makes a .22 fun, cheap to shoot but plenty of gun than most will ever admit to.

Take the time when you first aquire it to get to know it. Shoot from a rest about 25 yards to start with. Learn your basic`s and don`t move from there until your really good. Otherwise bad habits will be much greater at greater distance`s.

Most of all, have a darn good time-be safe and relax.
    And the worst thing....... you might just get hooked.

LTS

Attached Files:

7. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

The Gun Rags!!
  8. Sensei

Sensei New Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've tried googling that and I come up with nothing. What exactly is that?
  9. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Lots of good choices have been listed above, but my choice is the Henry Golden Boy. Smooth action, very accurate, very affordable, and drop dead gorgeous.

By the way, what's your martial art disicpline, Sensei?

Pat Hurley
  10. Sensei

Sensei New Member

I've studied and taught Aikido for many years and have considerable experience in other disciplines.

Is the rifle you mentioned the same thing as the Henry Model H001 Lever Action 22 LR? The local sporting goods store has it on sale for $220.
  11. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

That's now just the CZ M452. At one time they were marketed under the name "Brno" (pronounced "bruno") which is just the name of the city in the Czech Republic where they are manufactured. They are now marketed by CZ-USA (www.cz-usa.com). Go to their web-site and select "rimfire rifles" and you will see the various versions of the M452, and also their new M453 and M513, which I didn't know they had. I don't know if either of the new ones are in the stores yet. The M513 is an entry-level, and the M453 is apparently an improved M452 with a single set trigger.
    The CZ line includes a lot of quality rifles, pistols, and shotguns. :)
    Best regards, BIGBOOMER
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Henry for the lever gun
    And Mako for the bot action
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I've got a CZ-452, their "Scout" model. it's got a bit shorter stock and barrel, designed for young'uns. It's not so short I can't shoot it comfortably.

I'd get one of their regular-sized models. They're a great rifle, capable of sub-MOA groups and very well built.
  14. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

them #2 penzilz werk wundrs:cool:
  15. Pomy11

Pomy11 New Member

Sensei, I agree on the CZ 452, I have the American in 22 wmr, there is one problem, the boredome of shooting 50 rounds through the same hole! They are that good. I'm looking into a lever also, check the Browning, and the Marlin 39A has a good reputation, longest rifle design still being manufactured.
    Good luck.
  16. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

17. webfoot56

webfoot56 New Member

I cannot believe no one has recommended the remington 541 series of rifles in the 541-t sporter, 541-thb, and the 541-s. These rifles are no longer made but can be purchased on the secondary market. Gunbroker and auction arms would be a good starting point. They have adjustable triggers and shoot pretty good.
  18. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Webfoot
    Yea the 541's aren't bad
  19. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

well, it is no secret that I am a huge marlin fan. For accuracy and price, they just cant be beat. Proly the best deal out there now, for 40 years, is the semi auto mod 60. But for a boltie, the next best deal for 70 years, is their 81 series. Their new 981's go for about 150 dollars. they are tube fed and will fire short, long, and long rifle. They will hold 25 shorts at one time! that is just incredible. I have a 81 dl made in 1937 , I think, that is just so smokin accurate, with it's peep site, it is sick! you can't fire regular ol high velocity in it though, not that the rifle can't take it, but the sites were made before the invention of high velocity rounds, so you cant get them to hit any closer than about 6 inches from the top of your point of aim, even though you have the site adjusted all the way down!
    now that being said, if i wanted something with monster accuracy , and beauty for life, I would go with cz. Best overall value in accuracy and beauty in firearms , for all types of firearms, period.
  20. stash247

stash247 New Member

The CZ rifles, and their ancestors, the BRNO Model 1, and 2, come with an impeccable pedigree; they just WORK!
    All have the barrel threaded and screwed into the action, like one would do for a centerfire benchrest gun; few others, 'til one approaches the Win 52'// Rem 40-X level of rifles, do it that way; to my knowledge, Anschutz never has, although they work quite well!
    The Martini's are also done in this fashion, though they are not bolt guns, also the Win// Marlin lever guns.
    Could there be a pattern developing, here?
    A current production, readily available, M-452, with a minimum of tuning, and ammo selection, will shoot with just about any rifle up to twice the price point, favorably.
    Establish the parameters you will accept, first, then, look for a gun!
    How much gun? (ie, accuracy), and, How much MONEY?
    I got a Clyde Hart Barreled Win 52D, here in (still reasonably warm), south Texas, that will put 'wildcat' into a half inch or so, at 100 yds; with decent ammo, like 'proven' lots of Eley, Fiocci, or Federal, it shoots ragged holes at that distance, too small to count the number of shots, without a moving backer! True enough, the barrel is 1.490", end to end, and the rifle is close to 30 pounds, in weight, but, back to parameters
    In my case, my kids are grown, the wife, gone and paid off, so I am totally without any adult supervision!
    This may not be your situation, and, accordingly, one must prioritise.
    How much rifle do you need, and how much rifle can you afford, are the two questions we all need to ask, in order to decide.