Please recommend universal knife sharpening tools & blade cleaners/preservatives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Remington597, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I mostly have Gerber, Shrade, Buck, Old Timer, Winchester, and Swiss Army knives. Mostly tactical and utility types. Any suggestions on universal cleaning and sharpening tools? Thanks much.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I don't believe there is a "universal" sharpener. I have a Lansky, a Smith and several "V-bit" sharpeners. I have coarse and fine grit stones, diamond stones, diamond sticks, Arkansas stones and a couple of power grinders. It depends on what blade I'm sharpening for what use. I carry a 6" diamond stick in my shirt pocket. I have a 14" diamond stick in one of my knife blocks. I have a 4" halogen lightbulb in my glove box. I have 4 knives on me at this time, 3 more in the cab of the pickup, two in the tackle box and one in the big tool box in the bed of the pickup. I can almost always find something to do the job when something needs cut. :D

Pops
  3. Remington597

The more knives the better, that may just solve the sharpening problem. :)
  4. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Rem, pikup a copy of Blade magazine. always lots of useful stuff and where to get it. :cool:
  5. Remington597

thanks, I'll do that.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

7. Remington597

Thanks, that really helps. I appreciate it.
  8. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i have a lansky ,it took a few knives to really get it down ,now i have knives with very sharp razor edges ,my left forearm has a few bald spots ,just by scraping a blade across my hairy arm ,it shaves dry with little effort ,I hate the cutting paper test ,it just dulls the knife again

i carry a schrade ambidextrous pocket clip on my left ,with a cold steel voyager tanto in my right pocket ,the cold steel holds a great edge for a long time due to its 57 Rockwell harness
  9. Remington597

Ok, I made my choices. I ordered the GATCO sharpening system and also the HISLIP SENTRY syringe grease as a lubricant/preservative. Here they are. Thanks for the input all. I went to www.premiumknives.com. It was $25.98 for both with UPS shipping included. How did I do?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  10. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

11. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

IM really not familiar with the Gatco system. Working in a knife factory, I really don't need any sharpening system, I just take them to work, and have the guys in the honing dept, hone them to a factory edge! :D

I have heard good things about the Lansky system. I do know that many of our blades are made of D2 Tool steel, and ya aren't going to sharpen them on a conventional system, your going to need a diamond wheel, or a diamond impregneted sanding belt! Then they are finished off on a high speed buff!
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Diamond stones are available for both the Lansky and the Smith clamp systems. I don't have one of those stones, yet, but I've drooled on several. :D

What stiffness are the buffing wheels you use, Pa? I will occasionally use a Dremel buffing wheel on an xacto blade, but the larger wheels are just too soft for my liking. Do you use a very still wheel or just lap with the edge to smoth it? I've thought of making a wheel out of leather, but an, so far, too cheap to put forth the effort.

Pops
  13. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Our wheels are about 18 inches in dia, and are made up of several layers of cloth totaling about 2 inches thick. They are very soft and limp till ya turn them on and then they will rip the kinfe right out of your hand ifin ya don't do it right!

The knives are honed by hand on a belt and then hust finished off on the high speed buff to basically remove the burr, created by the belt! They are razor sharp when they are done.

Ive taken the wheels apart and brought the cloth home to cut up for cleaning patches, they work real well!
  14. Remington597

Very good informations, thanks. I am learning alot more about knives. Its an area that fascinates me.
  15. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Thanks, Pa. I see I have some experimenting to do. :D

Pops
  16. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

i never could keep the exact same angle without the lansky guide rod ,now i sharpen like a pro EVERYTIME ,i also plan on getting a wheel system for large knives and swords

i paid 35.00 for my lansky diamond system
  17. SWC

SWC Former Guest

I'm from the old school (I guess.)
    My choice is patience and some good stones. :rolleyes: