Please Tell Me About this British Bulldog Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dglockster, May 24, 2009.

1. dglockster

dglockster New Member

Years ago, I inherited an old revolver about which I am curious. I will appreciate whatever anyone can tell me about the gun.

The topstrap is stamped “British Bulldog.” I presume that it is .38 caliber and that’s all the technical information that I know about the gun. Squeezing the trigger will rotate the cylinder but does not cause the hammer to function. However, cocking the hammer manually does cause the cylinder to rotate. From its condition, the value is sentimental only.

The revolver came to me after the death of an uncle. According to his wife, who died a few years after him, the story that goes with the revolver is that he carried the revolver as a personal weapon during WWII. He was a chief petty officer with the Pacific Fleet and in the latter stages of the war, his ship was sunk during an engagement with the Japanese. He and some of his buddies survived by climbing onto a large piece of debris that was floating near by. During the course of events that followed, supposedly a Japanese pilot who had been shot down also managed to get to the same piece of debris and climbed aboard. Because my uncle was armed, he was able to subdue the pilot and keep him captive until they were all rescued. There is no way to verify the story but it does make the revolver interesting.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can give me.

Below are several pictures of the revolver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 24, 2009
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

If carried WW-2, it was probably then at least 50 years old, as the ELG Liege proofmark without crown is pre-1893. There were hordes of these made by Belgian "cottage industry" workers late 19th century, and sold in USA for under five dollars. Here's an ad from the 1886 catalog of J. P. Moore, New York:

Attached Files:

4. dglockster

dglockster New Member

Thank you for the link and for the picture. That really gives me a better idea about this little revolver.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

And sadly, FWIW, the pictured Belgium firearm never spenr a few hours in salt water. A another fine war story shot down.
  6. dglockster

dglockster New Member

That's probably why they are called "war stories."
    ;)