1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Plinking Loads for .41 Magnum

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The_Vigilante, Nov 15, 2011.

1. The_Vigilante

The_Vigilante New Member

I am taking possession of a Ruger .41 Magnum revolver this week and am looking for some plinking loads. Have a Redding Die set on order from Grafs as well as Starline brass and 225g RNFP bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. Anybody got any .41 brass once-fired they want to sell?
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I own a S&W Model 57, 6" nickel that I bought new in 1986 for $249 retail. It got completely rebuilt at the factory about 5 years ago--after 40,000 rounds or so.

I have loaded very hot and very mild stuff in it and probably my favorite plinking load is 5.0 gr. Bullseye behind a 220 gr. cast bullet. It's enough to upset the cast lead and I'm guessing the load is about 900 fps. If you get too low the load doesn't group, but that's very soft.

Brass is readily available. It's a great cartridge and lots of fun to shoot. For a wild time, try the Sierra 170 gr. JHC in front of 23.9 gr. of 296: now THAT'S a magnum!