1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

pocket 9

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by oscarmayer, Jun 11, 2010.

1. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

anyone have any experience with a kel-tec 9mm, skyy / sccy 9mm, or the new taurus 709 slimline 9mm ? if so please relate your experiences good or bad. i know kahr or glock would be a better choice but my daughter has her heart set on one of those that i listed.
  2. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

I own a Kel Tec P-11 9mm and I love it. But with the P-11 it does have the 8.5lb trigger since theres is no external safety. If she is a beginner i wouldnt go with the Kel Tec just because its hard to get use to the long and hard trigger pull. As for reliability, i did have 2 or 4 FTF but after I polished the feed ramp, I have not had a single FTF. Also the recoil is more because of how lite it is. As for the others you posted i dont have much experince with them but I hope this helps you.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

think you for the reply, my kid isn't new to guns but only has larger handguns s&w model 27 a glock in 40s&w and a sog in 357 sig. she wanted something small for her purse. i offered her my taurus 738 (380) but she called it a wimp gun. :confused:
  4. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

yeah the kel tec has my pinky hanging off but am going to get the extension for that but i have to say beside the pinky the gun feels my hand well
  5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I purchased the Taurus 709 today. Took it to the range after cleaning and am very pleased. Only had time for about 50 rounds but had no issues. I have small hands and it fits and feels very good to me. Recoil was not bad at all and it points easily for me. I am new to the newer semi's. so I am getting adjusted to the trigger. This Taurus' trigger is smooth and not heavy.
  6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I have extensive experience with Keltec P11 and PF9 pistols.
    First-the Sccy is a crude copy of the Keltec. Leave it alone.
    Keltecs trigger pulls are lighter than factory S&W DA trigger pulls.
    The K/T 9mms are small, lightweight, and inexpensive. They are excellent guns.
    I have no experience with the Taurus.
  7. jondar

jondar New Member

I only have experience with the P-11. It was one of two pistols I couldn't wait to buy and couldn't wait to sell. It was the trigger. To start with it pinched the top of my trigger finger. I bought a trigger shoe, that stopped it. But the long heavy trigger I just couldn't take. I spent hours in front of the TV with a dummy round in the chamber, dry firing, in the hope that this would somehow improve it. Someone on another gun forum recommended this. In defense of the K/T it never failed to fire and eject and had reasonable accurately at the range. It would thump your hand with the 147 gr rounds which wasn't a problem. To use as a start-up gun for a young person I wouldn't recommend but, of course, this is a personal thing.
  8. group17

group17 New Member

If she is use to firing the above have her look for a used Kahr PM9 or PM40. Just the right size for CC and better quality than the above. She won't call it a "whimp gun"
  9. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

Love my pf-9!

Kahrs are nice but very wide and heavy in comparison. Plus at least twice the price.
  10. yankee2500

yankee2500 New Member

Hard to put a price on your life, you need to carry what you have confidence in and can shoot proficiently.
    Kahrs are very well made guns and the quality is is easy to see, fit and finish are excellent. I have held a Kel-Tec P3AT and the only way I can describe the finish on that gun is rough, and I don't know if there other models are the same or not.
    I'm not a Kel-Tec basher and many people sing there praise to the Kel-Tecs, and many do not.

The specs on the Kel-Tec and the Kahr 9mms are VERY close.

Kel-Tec PF-9 --------------- Kahr PM9
    Weight 12.7 ----------------Weight 14
    OAL 5.85 --------------------OAL 5.3
    High 4.3 ---------------------High 4
    Wide .88 --------------------Wide .90

The difference in any of these dimensions is probably not even noticeable to the average person, as you can see the Kahr is not Very wide and Heavy, and the PF-9 is Longer and Taller than the PM9.

Just a little info for thought.

John
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had one of the SCCY 9mm and I presently have a Kel-tec. It is not the 9mm, but the P3AT. In times past, I have read several threads here on TFF about the SCCY being a piece of junk. I personally did not find that to be true. I never had a bit of trouble with the one I had and it fired every time I pulled the trigger. I no longer have it because my son wanted it for a back up, so I gave it to him. He later sold it but again he said he never had any problems with it either.
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

the sccy, and the kel-tec reminded her to much of the grendell ( remember that piece of crap ?) based on her liking my taurus 738 (380) slimline she went with the 709 slimline in 9mm one outing so far and about 30 rounds of ammo ( ball ) she likes it alot . she'll swich up to winchester silvertips once she feels it's broke in . but so far so good. thank you for the input
  13. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

From what I have sen at the range Taurus Slim seems decent.

Look at the Bersa 9mm's also