The Firearms Forum banner

Pocket carry - gave up on holsters

5K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  gvw3 
#1 ·
...Now carrying a Glock 27 which I like a bunch, however, I have tried 3 holsters now and don't like any much. The best of the bunch is a plastic paddle which is difficult to draw from...

I was in Nashville on vacation last week and the paddle was printing poorly, so I left the chamber empty and tucked the bare gun in my right front pocket. In the event I needed to fire a round or two, I would merely rack the slide, chamber a 40S&W round, aim and fire.

Any thoughts? Is this safe?

I have a smaller 380ACP S&W pocket gun but I don't feel real safe carrying it. I feel a need to carry some MEAT. Yeh, I open carry some but it is not always a good solution for certain public events like the Nashville trip.

#2 ·
Have you tried a good leather holster?

#3 · (Edited)
CBST Deluxe- For a good IWBH

A good leather pancake style holster for OWB.

OC if it's legal.

Pocket Carry (In a HOLSTER!)

Personally, I prefer AIWB in a modified CBST. It has a lot of advantages. (100% concealment, fastest access without having to open carry --and-- besides OC or "pocket carry" it's the most comfortable way to carry I've found.)

-

#4 · (Edited)
I carry my Glock 26 in a Blackhawk Serpa. Is that the plastic paddle you're referring to? What makes it hard to draw from in your opinion? I practiced drawing for a bit when I first started using it until I became extremely confortable with the procedure. I find that style to be one of the easier draws for me.

I'd be very leery of carrying my firearm with an empty chamber. Chambering a round is extremely hard with one hand taken out of the fight for whatever reason. I want that first round only a trigger pull away.

#5 ·
The plastic paddle holster is made by FOBUS - a Isreali company. It is VERY hard to draw from and it is so bad it borders on being dangerous. I'm going to drill out two rivits and replace them with bolts and washers to make it bigger and allow it to draw easier.

Another holster I own is a GALCO. It is a good leather belt holster - about $70. I have a long torso and short legs and the gun in this holster hangs down below all my shirts so it is not well concealed. I live in an open carry state so I don't care that much if it shows but when I want to conceal the gun this holster does not work well.

#6 ·
The plastic paddle holster is made by FOBUS - a Isreali company. It is VERY hard to draw from and it is so bad it borders on being dangerous. I'm going to drill out two rivits and replace them with bolts and washers to make it bigger and allow it to draw easier.

Another holster I own is a GALCO. It is a good leather belt holster - about $70. I have a long torso and short legs and the gun in this holster hangs down below all my shirts so it is not well concealed. I live in an open carry state so I don't care that much if it shows but when I want to conceal the gun this holster does not work well.
The first thing I would recomend is to learn to dress to carry. This is one of the things people new to carring a gun don't think about. I wear all my shirts one size too large, and I buy my shirts with the long tail. If you try this with the GALCO you will find that the gun no longer prints, or shows below your shirt tails. I'm 5'11", and weigh in at around 230, my inseam is 30"! I also have short legs!:D

#7 ·
Reactions: Swifty Morgan
#8 ·
Thanks GVW3.

Is the Bulldog holster designed to fit specific guns like a Glock 27 or is it generic and fits most all guns? This is an outside the belt holster; right? I'm right handed.

I tired a few inside the waist holsters and don't like them much.

#30 ·
Pocket carry is fine, IF you use a pocket holster -
The Cross Breed version has a nice square of horsehide that goes on the OUTSIDE of the pistol, which makes it print like a wallet.

I also have an Israeli plastic paddle holster for OC, an Itac Defense. It is a locking holster, and the draw is VERY fast from it. The release button is EXACTLY where your trigger finger should be as you draw, right alongside the trigger guard.

The secret to IWB is having pants with a waist 2" larger than your actual size. If you try this, I believe your IWB experience will be greatly improved.

When I learned about it, I looked at my entire closet and chest of drawers full of dress slacks, cargo pants, jeans and shorts ALL in my size, and decided to go the CHEAP route. I went on a diet until I had lost 2" in my waist. I am overweight anyway, so this is good.
:)

The only drawback is that in my last annual physical, my doctor was REALLY happy with my weight loss, and is now pushing me to CONTINUE it.
:(

#10 ·

I carry a Glock 19 in a Fobus Paddle holster and if it is too tight, you can use a hair drier on it to make it more "to fit your gun". And also, having it on your side in the right position is another factor.
I carry mine on the right side at around "my" 4 o'clock position.
And practice, practice drawing your pistol.
The first thing I would recomend is to learn to dress to carry. This is one of the things people new to carring a gun don't think about. I wear all my shirts one size too large, and I buy my shirts with the long tail. If you try this with the GALCO you will find that the gun no longer prints, or shows below your shirt tails. I'm 5'11", and weigh in at around 230, my inseam is 30"! I also have short legs!:D
VERY true!
It took me a while to "adapt" but got it all worked out now as far as everyday carry.

#12 ·
Thanks GVW3.

Is the Bulldog holster designed to fit specific guns like a Glock 27 or is it generic and fits most all guns? This is an outside the belt holster; right? I'm right handed.

They come is small, medium and large. My Ruger 1911 commander fits the medium.

#14 ·
The Glock 27 is a BIG gun for concealed carry. I like to tuck my shirt in. ...and that is an issue...
no it's not;)

a Glock 26-27-30 are all very concealable

if you like to CC and tuck in your shirt then you are limiting yourself.
There are holsters like the Super Tuck Delux that work, but I don't want to have to pull my shirt out of my waistband before I can draw.

A good leather IWB holster is like an old friend being with you. Once its broken in, there is nothing better IMHO

#15 ·
no it's not;)

a Glock 26-27-30 are all very concealable

if you like to CC and tuck in your shirt then you are limiting yourself.
There are holsters like the Super Tuck Delux that work, but I don't want to have to pull my shirt out of my waistband before I can draw.

A good leather IWB holster is like an old friend being with you. Once its broken in, there is nothing better IMHO
:yeahthat:

#17 ·
The new glock 42 (380) fits easily in the front pocket and is supposedly really reliable from reports. I had a Bersa with an IWB Galco thumb over but finally moved to a 38 special Airweight model 442-1 and it fits the pocket well. The SW Airweight prints less than the Ruger LCR because the SW cylinder has smaller valleys. No one seems to notice. In a liberal area, that says they aren't looking. The newer ammo makes the 38 a contender (see Greg Ellifritz caliber or equipment and compare to the standard 380, 9, 40, 45).

#18 ·
I have carried a full sized 1911 for the past 20 years or so in a paddle style holster, but I work in a computer building so I also wear a "hoodie" everyday to keep warm. When it gets too hot, I simply take off the hoodie and tie around waist, concealing the pistol nicely while allowing draw. When summer hits in full force, I carry an A.M.T. Backup in .45 in my back pocket. 6 rounds of potent .45!

#19 ·
I dont do plastic holsters. I would if I could legally carry drop leg style. For anything else I would stick with a good leather. I dont ever pocket carry. All my guns have holsters.

#20 ·
Like DD, I also carry in a leather holster, except for my BUG, that I have in a pocket holster. Ever watched someone draw from a kydex holster, or should I say listened! Gun coming out of a kydex holster makes a lot of noise!

#21 ·
Like DD, I also carry in a leather holster, except for my BUG, that I have in a pocket holster. Ever watched someone draw from a kydex holster, or should I say listened! Gun coming out of a kydex holster makes a lot of noise!
I would love to carry drop leg style. I would go for a retention style holster in that situation. We are still fighting for open carry here....I wish it would happen soon!

#26 ·
We're still fighting for it here in TX too Dan. I remember a time when a gun on your hip was not a strange thing. I've open carried, but that was many years ago. Post Office, bank, anywhere back then. No one thought anything about it.

#24 ·
This is my thought, also. The difference in power between any of the handgun calibers is minimal.
I'm grappling with this issue right now, but not because I'm wary of "lesser" calibers. I'm really on the fence whether I want to get into another handgun caliber or not. I'm very interested in the Ruger LC in either 9mm or .380, but I'll probably stick with the 9mm just to keep my variety of calibers down. Maybe in the future I won't mind, but for now I just don't see it as being worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.