Pocket Carry - Give me suggestions/help me choose

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by jpohl402, Dec 3, 2010.

1. jpohl402

jpohl402 New Member

Hello,
    I apologize for not searching - hardly have any time & would like this thread to be a general summary, all-inclusive thread.
    I typically always wear jeans while using a comp-tac IWB holster carrying either a Springfield XD or a Walther PPS. I LOVE LOVE both these guns as well as the holster. However, this holster has clips that have to go over the actual belt & therefore visible if shirt tucked in....

For a new position I am required to wear dress slacks & tucked in shirt. Even if the shirt was un-tucked, I don't feel that the slacks are strong enough (very thin) to support the plastic holster & heavy gun - feels like it would weigh pants down quite a bit if that makes sense....

Anyway, what are my options as I certainly don't like being without a firearm?
    I was thinking a very small (NO EXPERIENCE W THEM) Kel-tec or similar, IN A small holster, that tucks into the front pocket of dress slacks....
    I wouldn't want something that would severely sag the pants down though from that pocket (i.e. LIGHTER is better.)

Looking for ideas/ways to carry/holsters to use/brands & calibers of firearms recommended/any relevant info. Ideally, not a .22 though I fully realize it is a "capable" caliber & nothing to scoff at.... .25, .32, etc - what do these bullets cost? Availability of ammo these days with crazy shortages?
    Kind Regards
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Buy a Keltec P32, and drop it in your pocket. Never put anything else in that pocket.
  3. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Right on! I carry mine almost daily. If not that one, I'm carrying the P-11 in the pocket.
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I carry a P32 24/7 in my pocket with an uncle mikes pocket holster size 1. Its the lightest pistol made and you dont even know its there.....
  5. Toolmanroberts

Toolmanroberts New Member

I agree with the other 3 post the Kel-Tec P32 is a good choice. I carry mine daily and often forget I have it. In the right pocket holster it is not visable. I realise it is not very powerful but a small gun is better than no gun. The ammo is available here in Minnesota and it is not too expensive off the shelf but I prefer to load my own and substantial savings allowing me to practice more. The holster that I purchased came from Cheaper-than-dirt for under 10 dollars and it completly breaks up the print of the gun and no one will know you are carrying.
  6. BillM

BillM Active Member

I carried a Kel-tec P32 in a Uncle Mikes pocket holster for years. Right
    up to the time my wife got ahold of it--now it's HER gun.:)

Since May I've been carrying a Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace laser on it.
    Holster is a Alabama Holster Works Kydex pocket holster. Tried the popular
    DeSantis Nemesis, didn't like it.

The gun (fully loaded with Federal Hydra-shoks), laser, and holster weigh
    just under 14 oz. I carry it right front pocket, all day every day. So far
    I've put around 250 rds through the LCP, and it has been 100% reliable.
  7. Boris

Boris Former Guest

BillM

I made that mistake with the G19. Let her shoot it and I haven't touched it since. I got a new Glock out of the deal and she bought me a XD9 to fill the 9mm gap in my collection.

I will NEVER let her shoot my P32. I been thinking of one of them lasers. How well do they hold a zero??
  8. BillM

BillM Active Member

Heck--she saw the laser on the LCP and wanted one for the P32. That
    little "here honey, try this one" thing ended up costing me around $700.

I never had a laser on the P32. It actually had usable sights, and it pointed
    very well for me.

The LCP has absolutely worthless sights. Might as well not even be there.
    The laser has held zero for 7 months of pocket carry, no problems.
  9. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Thanks for the info!!
  10. vytoland

vytoland New Member

S&W model 649
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Any number of small pocket guns like the Kel-Tec, Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard, and others are great for pocket carry, including the small snubbie wheel guns. A good holster is a must, and like everyone else has said, don't put anything in that pocket but the gun! Another new gun on the market is the Diamondback, it's made in the U.S., and is a good quality gun.
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I have the ArmaLaser on my P3AT. It does less to mess up my grip than the Crimson Trace does. It's also cheaper, and it has an on/off switch, which I don't think is available on the Kel-tec sized Crimson Trace.

I am a big fan of the lasers on these pocket guns, but I also make sure to practice without the laser. You never know when the batteries are going to die on you, and you don't want to helpless without the laser.
  13. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

That Diamondback is a pretty good looking nymph of a pistol. Have you any first hand experience with them? What is the price range for one?

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/
  14. jpohl402

jpohl402 New Member

Thanks guys for all comments/suggestions - I made a decision.

Ended up going with Taurus TCP and love it.

I purchased both a Desantis Nemesis and Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster as well.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  15. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Range report with pics or it never happened........
  16. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

+1

I've been looking at the little Taurus, but it's not high on my list. I don't have enough money yet to own two guns that fill the same niche.
  17. jpohl402

jpohl402 New Member

I certainly will.....
    Though with the holidays, I haven't even had time to shoot it.
    Been too busy to put even one round through her.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I haven't fired one, but did get to handle one, and they are in the same price range as the LCP. The sights are larger, and usable, and the slide locks back when the mag goes empty. The one I looked at did not have the compensated barrel.