Pocket Carry recommendations

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Sportdog7, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow New Member

I have to disagree and agree at the same time on some of this statement to me there is nothing gimmick about a good laser sight. and I think their value would be 10 fold in a stressful life or death situation they make a handgun a deadon shoot from the hip keep the weapon close to the body no brainer asset. But in the same statement I agree practice practice practice with the laser off. Cause there is allways Murphys Law and Dead Batteries. My EDC of an SAXD 45 sports a Crimson Trace and I try to 20% shoot with it on and 80% shoot with it off
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What I carry as a BUG. Love the little guns, and they fit my right front pocket just right.
  3. taosgunguy

taosgunguy New Member

I carry in back pocket the Taurus M327 pictured below (6 shot). 327 Federal Magnum provides much deeper penetration than 38 +p and mushrooms nicely. Also shoots 32 Long, 32 S7W Long and 32 H&R Magnum. See articles here and here. Taurus no longer markets theirs, nor does Charter Arms. Ruger SP101 is nice, but 3" barrel. S&W 632 with 2" barrel is awesome, but a lot of money. You can still buy the Taurus around the Web at online gun auction sites, but most of those under $300 have a normal hammer, while mine is concealed. I like my Taurus so much I bought a second one, still in the safe brand new in the box.

By the way, the back pocket carry is possible due to purchase of some $19.99 jeans at WalMart designed for the younger crowd with larger back pockets. They look fine on me though and I'm 64 (at least as fine as jeans can look on me).
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Although, .327 ammo is in most cases as much as TWICE the price of 9mm ammo, whether it's ball or defense ammo. Nor is it as common as other calibers. Just something to keep in mind.

I do like the offering of that caliber though it is a niche market.
  5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Good points by all you guys, a lot might just be personal preferences on what you like and are comfortable.

I sent a request online to Crimson and they sent me some great catalogs on their products and included a FREE self defence CD....nice. I have studied Judo and Tae Kwon Do but it's a great CD for a beginner or a refresher for anyone.

On laser, might save your life just having one, in a dimmly lit or even any situation if I were a bad guy and I saw a laser going across my face I might just beat it out right there.

Now I wasn't thinking now about a laser but might someday....I have to get my wife just to say "YES", she's maybe, someday but hesitates. And she's a nurse driving through a not great area going to/from work, a no gun zone in the hospital, you have gangers, druggie patients AND their friends drives me nuts! (not the worst areas either BUT I want her to be armed). She's 5' 1"....a little friend evens the playing field!! ;)

I just might need one more 6pm news story to get her onboard.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. Sportdog7

Sportdog7 New Member

Well here's an update I stopped today and handled the Ruger LCP. They had both the standard LCP & for 100.00 more the LCP with the Crimson Trace laser. So now I'm debating the merits of getting the LCP with or without the laser? Both LCP models are on sale for another week...Any thoughts on one or the other?
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Buy the one with the laser, then practice with out it. You never know, you might need it some day! Personally, I would save the $100 for something else. I do not want to be dependant on a laser, or any other sighting equipment. But that's just me!
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I thought I made a comment a couple of days ago, I guess I forgot to hit the Post Reply button (again)!!

I suggest that you also look at the little Sig P238. It costs a little more that the other ones mentioned but I think is it a good choice. I have owned a Kel-Tec P3AT and a PF-9 but just didn't care for either one of them as much as the P238. You also have the choice of going with a 9mm in the same size with the P-239 (I think). I have not seen the 9mm pistols yet, my self.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My nephew has the Ruger LCP. It is a good little shooter and pretty accurate. I prefer a wheel gun myself for this application but this is a nice little gun.
  10. Sportdog7

Sportdog7 New Member

It's a done deal I went to my gun shop and picked up the LCP w/Laser the shop had both models available. To be honest I was going to go with the standard LCP on sale at 299.00, out of curiosity I asked how much it would be if I got the LCP with laser. He said 50.00 more!! so for 349.00 I got the laser model. I also picked up 2 boxes of PMC 380 ammo & a spare magazine. So tonight I'll give it a clean & lube with Slip2000 EWL and I'll be ready to head to the range this weekend. I couldn't believe the deal I got from my gun shop, his prices have always been less than the major retail gun shops, they wanted 429.00 for the same gun! Guess it pays to do business with local folks.
  11. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Good for you. Sometimes the little guy can do better on items, and it's good to support them too.

Congrats. Can't wait for the range report.

Post a pic or two while we wait. :D
  12. Richardbrentm

Richardbrentm New Member

I have a Crimson Trace on both my Kel-Tec .380 and on my Kahr PM9. They make any shooter a better shot especially if you are under stress. Point N' shoot instinctively