Pocket Pistol?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Marty S, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Marty S

Marty S New Member

Hi,

Not being very heavy, and wearing shorts and tee shirts nearly year round, I'm looking for a liteweight carry gun, preferably polymer.

I'm sure this isn't the first thread on this subject, so sorry to re-open old questions. Any ideas?

Marty
  2. Auggy

Auggy New Member

Kel-tec P3AT
  3. Marty, take a look at Taurus new Millennium Pro PT-745. I bought one last week and it is rapidly becoming my favorite carry piece. It's small, light, easy to handle, and relatively inexpensive, yet still gives you seven rounds of .45 ACP stopping power.
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

5. mdw442

mdw442 New Member

I don't know any polymer ones worth carrying, but my wife has tried several carry pistols and finally settled on a S&W Model 60. It's very small, lightweight, and easy to use, and the trigger is smooth so its accurate.

If you want something more powerful than the model 60, I'd go with one of the small Kimber .45ACP. They are expensive, but worth every penny. If you feel you need to carry, then obviously you place some value on your life, and the Kimber is one of the nicest pieces out there.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  6. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I second the Kel-tec P3AT (.380). They are so small and light there is simply no reason NOT to take it with you. I still drop mine in my pocket even when I'm carrying my powerful 10mm Glock 29.
    I work on computers and quite often in a residence or business. While I'm doing my stuff there, crawling around on the floor, reaching behind desks, etc. I can NOT have a firearm that will print through my clothing. In the year or so that I've been carrying it in my front pocket, no one has questioned me about it. With that nice holster, the whole packing just looks like a big billfold.

Here's the pic of the gun and the holster (the side shown is the side that goes towards the body, the other side is just a flat, smooth surface).

[​IMG]
    If you need more info and/or pics, just post here or email me.

Best of luck,
    Mike (bambihunter)
  7. Wideboy04

Wideboy04 New Member

I was in the market for the P3AT, until I shot one. So light recoil is sharp, with the small grip. If that don't bother you, would be perfect. I have the Taurus PT111 9mm, similar in size to the .45, the only way I know to describe this weapon is chunky. Short, kinda thick, and a long grip. I just picked up the Kahr PM9, thinner, shorter, smaller grip and lighter then the Taurus Pro's. But still I think to big for pocket carry. I am now looking at the North American Arms .380 Guardian for pocket carry. Going to do some research then decide. My $.02

Jim
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Recoil is a relative thing; compared to being beaten with a claw hammer, how much does the Kel Tec REALLY hurt???
    A gun of this sort ain't a target pistol; it just might save your bacon, though, if with you, when you need it!
    Anything that makes it easier to include, in every activity, is a plus, in my book. Size and weight top that list, tho they do increase recoil. my .02
  9. Wideboy04

Wideboy04 New Member

If you can comfortably and with confidence handle the P3AT it serves it purpose. For me the small grip and longgggggg trigger pull makes it unpleasant. Lucky there are other options. In the heat of the moment those things might not be noticable. But it should feel good. ;)
  10. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Smith Scandium Airlite .357
    It's dosen't smart too long after the first couple of rounds.
    I shot about 20 rdns in one today and I can still type :D :D :D :D
  11. Right, 22, but that's because your hand is so numb that you wouldn't feel it if you touched it to a blast furnace. :D
  12. Bill

Bill New Member

I agree the Kel-Tec's have a long trigger pull. But for a pocket pistol I think it's a good thing. You'd have to be totally inept to have an accidental discharge while drawing from your pocket or pointing this pistol. It's a safety feature which makes the "pull the trigger and shoot" capability of this gun very safe. No need for safeties, cocking, decocking etc. Very simple and extremely safe. In contrast to other posts I was very pleased with what I consider light recoil when I first shot mine. The lifetime warranty is another plus when considering this gun. Not a fun gun on the range but a very practical pocket pistol.
    Bill
  13. Voyager Al

Voyager Al New Member

I second Bill's reply. My wife and I both shoot a P3AT. I carry mine daily, along with a Glock 27. No one EVER has seen mine in my back pocket. Its in a desantis Nemisis holster. Not a range gun, but we both shoot 100 weekly, to keep in practice, if we ever need it. My wife's little hand works fine with it. My BIG hand does ,too. I added a Magazine extension.
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I still believe that I would look around for a first class Colt Mustang for a pocket pistol. While I would like something larger than a .380 calibre, the size is good and the calibre is alright in a pocket gun.

Just an ole phart's opinion. You may consider the source......
  15. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Another option is the Kel-tec 32. It is a little lighter and thinner than the 380, but just a little. Recoil is mild. I've been useing the Desantis pocket holster. Nobody has ever spoted it even in shorts.

I know that the 32 acp is a mouse gun. But if I have a choice of not carrying or carrying a 32, I carry a 32.