point shooting

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by old semperfi, Sep 18, 2012.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i am bringing this up to see how many others use this method.the gun i use is a ruger single six that i have had for over thirty years.the type shooting i am talking about is to pull pistol from holster,thumb hammer back and fire without aiming,all in one motion.i have fired thousands of rounds this way and now its second nature using my ruger.i can chase a soda can up to 15 or twenty yards away without once bringing the gun much further than my waist.this is a fun way to shoot if you spend the time to learn and sometimes it comes in handy,like right before stepping on a copperhead.(beleive me i know)nuf said old semperfi
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I got away from Point shooting..you have reminded me of how much fun it can be! I use to be pretty good with a SSA .22 pistol and a .38 revolver..probably cant hit the inside of a barn with the doors closed now!

I also was very good rabbit or grouse hunting using a single shot .410! I used the point shooting method with it and almost never missed...always seemed to miss moving targets when I tried to aim it though. Dad said it was "instintive" shooting.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  4. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Just like shooting Trap and Sporting Clays only with a Hand Gun
    Note:Back when I started Shooting Black Powder in SASS, Point Shooting has come in right handy.
    Now if I could just remember where the Targerts are located in all that Beautiful White Smoke.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. MikeH121

MikeH121 New Member

Army was training soldiers to PS in the 50's out your index finger along the side of the gun and your middle finger on the trigger. Where you point is where you shoot. I do this, on the range on a silouette I point at the shoulder I hit the shoulder. When practiced enough it can be used off balance, when backing away, in low light, one handed, etc.. It becomes MUSCLE MEMORY. Look at Jerry Miculek fastest shooter, not just lightning fast but acurate also. Even with his follow-up shots. Your muscles remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcUcE3xCw8I
  6. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

I sincerely believe everyone who is shooting for self-defense should practice this, a lot. As we know, it can happen way too fast to get a good sight picture. I practice much as I can, I shoot at an indoor range and they don't like firing wiithout taking aim. Just like they don't allow double-taps...understand their concern, but...
  7. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

i think more should practice it,, it is becomeing a lost art. it puts u on target before u even look at the sites.( and as u said helps with the copperheads and 2 legged snakes also)
    can be lots of fun, couple of my friends and i waste lots of ammo practiceing this and use both hands,, never know when that other hand may be needed.
    and is a good way to see who is going to pay for the refreshments after a funnnn day.