pointy 30-30 loads?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 5, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

wasn't intending on loading in 30-30 yet, but have worked up a good load for my 30-06 and this weekend fell into some free brass from a buddy. most of it was 30-30 but did end up with a small bag of 308, and on last look, apparrently a couple ziplocks of some old looking 30-06 with crimped primers. I'll save those for another day till I fell like cleanign them up..

in any case.. worked on 30-30 last night.. got about half sized and deprimed and trimmed.

every now and then hit a few that had active primers.. musta been puleld ammo? anyway. was using my marlin 336 LA to deactivate most o f the primers as my savage 340 had a hard time swallowing some of them as they apparrently had been fired in a gun with a loose chamber... the 336 almost wouldn't chamber them.. but they went into battery enough to pop caps.. after resize and trim, the 340 handled the cases with just a hair more than normal bolt pressure to chamber them. once they are fired in that gun or the marlin, I assume that will size up better..

anyway.. back to topic.

i know for my marlin tube feeder LA gun it's round nose only.. or the hornady lever revoloution type ammo.. etc. but for my savage 340 bolt gun, it's removeable box mag fed. I could concieveably use pointy ammo for it.

any opinion or reccomendations on that?
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The biggest problem you'll have with the 340 is overall cartridge length. The box mag on the 340 is sized just about right for the typical round/flat-nose used with the .30-30 with not much extra room for longer spire points.

Make up a dummy round (no powder or primer) with the bullet you're wanting to use and do some testing.
    If they feed from the magazine into the chamber then you can use em with no problems.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i have some 150gr with a cannelure I was using in my 3006 to work up some loads. will have to measure one up. have some 180's with no cannelure i was using for a while on a bolt action 3006.. but figure 180 is gonna be too heavy for a 303-30 i see 150/170 commonly.

will dig thru my projectiles and see what I got. them 150's might be ok.. i'll see what 'room' that box mag has.