Poison Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Admin, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Admin

Admin Active Member Staff Member

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/8/02 2:28:09 am)
    Poison Ice Cream
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In 1967, the 196th LIB was stationed on a small peninsula south of Chu Lai. We were the only Army unit up there in I Corps at that time. We were too far north of our own supply sources to get much in the way of special items. USMC was there but also had a difficult time with supplies.
    Our officers were supposedly issued Gold Certificates to purchase supplies on the open market. They purchased low grade meat and other perishables from ships along the coast and occasionally from Danang. They were able to buy some REAL ice cream. After purchase, the officers had it served in their mess but only for officers who were in the rear.
    It was impossible to get it out to the line companies no matter what the rank.
    There wasn't enough for EMs (they said) so S5 (Civil Affairs)quickly set up an ice cream social for kids in the coastal village of Tra Bong. It was a reward for village loyalty.
    Unfortunately, none of our white officers had heard of lactose intolerance. It is a common condition among Asians. it means that they can't digest cow milk or dairy products. The coldest item these kids ever had in their lives was about 50 degrees F. Ice was a rare commodity and only for the very wealthy.
    Frozen ice cream made from cow milk just didn't stay in their little stomachs too long. Those who didn't vomit suffered immense intestinal distress. Flatulence and diarrhea are MAJOR problems in a small hut when everyone sleeps in the family bed.
    It was real bad publicity and the VC sent propaganda teams to all the other villages to warn them of the poison ice cream.
    Oh Well !
    Mike H

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (5/8/02 7:19:12 am)
    Re: Poison Ice Cream
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great story Mike, even though the consequences were not all that glowing for the poor little kids. Let me relate an Ice Creme story for you---this one happened almost 50 years ago however. Years ago the military mess halls served an individual serving of ice creme wrapped in a paper, not plastic wrap, a wax paper---always was the Neopolitain (sp), three flavored little bar---. We had been in the Philippines for 13 months building Cubi Point Naval Air Station---in July 1953 they loaded us on this MSTS troop transport for a ride to our Seabee base in California. It was hot as hell---they'd run you out on deck in the morning and you'd have to stay out there in the heat all day long. About two days out, this old Navy Chief died---just bought the farm--no disease--just crapped out. They put the old chiefs remains down in a frozen food locker ---later at about 10 days of a 12 day voyage to California, the mess hall started giving the troops all the ice creme bars they wanted as they went thru the mess line---dinner and supper---all they wanted---the word started passing amongst the troops that that old navy chiefs remains were tainting the ice creme---poisoning it---. Well, it was bullshit but you couldn't convince those old hairy-legged Seabees of that fact---if a mess cook tried to put an ice creme bar on your tray as you passed thru the chow line, you'd threaten to whip his ass and stuff that poison ice creme up it for treatment of being stupid. Wilborn

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/8/02 8:33:36 am)

Jeez.... lookin' at ice cream in a whole new light now!

Interesting to say the least......

Always Faithful

106RR196LIB
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/9/02 2:26:36 am)
    Yuk! I think the Army bought your Navy surplus ice cream, they were still serving that crap in 1968.
    Mike H