Police/Fire scanners?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KING64, Jun 29, 2007.

1. KING64

KING64 New Member

May 11, 2007
    Washington State
    How many of you listen to police or fire department radio transmissions on home or vehicle scanners? Having retired from 30 years in LE I have listened to almost enough of this but I do usually turn on my scanner when I am in my den. Listening to your local PD or SO can give you a heads up to major emergency events but most of it is pretty routine.

2. I used to listen to mine all day everyday but the local SO and PD switched to a digital frequency. And my analog can't pick them up anymore, The only band I get now is the EMT.

3. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2005
    SW GA CSA
    I keep mine on all day during the daytime. Monitors the hospital and ambulances as well as State Patrol and SO.
    I know most of the personel at all the places it monitors(rural county where everybody knows everybody else)

4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Nov 30, 2005
    UT
    I listen to local Police / Fire frequencies on my Ham radio quite often. I don't have it on all the time, just usually when I want something to listen to while cooking dinner or if I know there is something going on and want to find out more.

5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Don't listen to mine much anymore.
    Usually only when I hear the sirens.

6. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Goldsboro, NC
    I keep mine on all the time, usually on low volume, I have heard some interesting stuff. I enjoy listening, especially on the weekends with all the drunks getting busted...I always laugh when I hear....10-4 one 10-72 in custody:D

7. rowdyredneck

rowdyredneck New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I have a mobile I keep in my truck most of the time but it only takes a few minutes to unhook it and set it up in the house. I don't listen to it very often, most of the time its just random traffic stops and normal transmissions. One night I was driving home from work and listened to a high speed chase in progress which I drove past just a few minutes after the lady crashed her van. Another time I was listening to a domestic disturbance and the officer called in to the dispatcher saying "The subject has been advised to not return to the trailer park." That one gave me a good laugh.

8. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Goldsboro, NC