Police officer has gun license revoked 28 years after juvenile offense

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by norahc, Apr 1, 2012.

1. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/n...ham-Police-Officer-s-past-affects-gun-license

2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I'd like to do a deep background check on those board members and see what kind of dirty laundry they are hiding. Zero common sense.
  3. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

wow, not only is the government ruining people's lives for the stupidest of reasons, but now they're even ruining their lives for things they did as children!:rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

This story points out the glaring unfairness of denying someone their constitutional right to keep and bear arms, based on past circumstances or offenses which have little to do with ones current propensity for violence. Not only that , it unnecessarily puts this police officers life at risk, by denying him the right to self defense when off the job. Police officers in general face a greater risk to life and limb, both on and off the job, than the public at large, due to the potential for acts of retribution from criminals. I hope his department can get this mans rights restored.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sounds really stupid but I would like a little more information. What did he do? It may be very bad.
  6. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think if it was very bad, he would have served time. Either in a juvie lockup, or in an adult setting. Either way, it would have been found when he applied.
  7. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

How many offenses don't have a "statute of limitations" .... isn't seven years enough ?
  8. musclehead

musclehead New Member

this might have to do with disclosure at the time of application for the back ground check.

I had a MIP conviction while in high school that may have kept me from getting the USPS gig, but I 'fessed up to it and it turned out ot be no problem.

(ok so I haven't always been an angel!) :rolleyes:
  9. norahc

norahc Active Member

Statue of limitations only deals with how long after the offense you can be arrested and charged for it.
  10. raven818

In addition, Bench Warrants don't have any limitation on arrest from the day the warrant was issued. If your alive, and checked, you go to jail if the warrant hasn't been " archived ".
  11. norahc

norahc Active Member

Correct. I should have phrased my previous comment as "Statue of limitations only deals with how long after the offense you can be charged for it."
  12. armoredman

armoredman New Member

So the news media have deliberately placed a police officer's life, and his families lives in danger by publicly stating he is no longer armed off duty, and any of the criminals he's arrested in the past may now go after him without fear, with their illegal guns. Plus these people are doing this over and over to other people at will, for stupid things done as a juvenile? Amazing, and even more amazing, nobody will do anything about it, will they?
  13. raven818

Rereading this: There's a glitch to this somewhere. A police officer, no matter where, is never off duty. I'll go so far as to say, that none of the current/past officers at TFF never had a requirement to permit themselves in order to carry before, and after their shifts.

I've belonged to all 4 types of LE, and none of them had a restriction like that in place. Somethings not being spelled out. Too many questions and not enough answers.
  14. norahc

norahc Active Member

And if it's serious enough to warrant the removal of his guns off duty, then maybe somebody should rethink him being armed ON duty.

We just don't know enough about what happened to bring this about yet to be making any conclusions. I posted this article to discuss how juvenile records could/would be used to prevent people from carrying/owning guns...not about a police officer losing his off-duty carry ability.
  15. Model195Fan

Model195Fan Member

I don't know all the details of the case, but in MA, restrictions on conditions of carry are, by law, at the sole discretion of the Chief of Police of the permitholder's town of residence. I don't believe that Framingham is the most gun-friendly town in MA. In addition, even issuance of a permit at all is effectively at the discretion of the Chief, although one can go to court to appeal. So this may be a case of a bonehead Chief in an anti-gun town. This is not an occurrence unheard of in the People's Democratic Republic of Massachusetts.