Police turn-ins

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lead, Nov 7, 2008.

1. lead

lead Active Member

My local shop just got in some ex-police pistols. One was a S&W 66(I think), a Beretta 96D, a couple different Glocks, etc.
    Anything special to look for on these guns? Other then obvious outside wear, would you check springs, extractors, etc, to tell if it's been shot alot, or just carried alot?
    I'm not sure what distributor he uses, or if that makes a difference. They seem like good guns at a good price. Still not cheap, but cheaper then new. I just don't want to buy a gun that is about worn out.
  2. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

Personally, if buying a used semi-auto I would consider changing out the springs anyway... especially the recoil spring. To see how worn it was I would check out the barrel to see how sharp the rifling looks... but understand it would take A LOT of firing to wear out a handgun barrel.
  3. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

On a semi auto, I would check the slide and ramp? for wear. I would think that having the blueing wear off is not a big deal but any wear beyond that means its been shot a lot. Also check the inside of the barrel, ya just never know what has been through that gun. But it sounds like ya got a good source. Do your research and buy some great guns at a fair price. I am not a gunsmith nor do I play one in real life:D
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

5. whirley

whirley Member

I'm comsidering the Ruger and Glock semi-autos for general use and concealed carry. I'd appreciate some thoughts on the two pistols.
  6. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

You may find the Ruger to be a bit heavy, if ya go with a good one. If ya get the part poly and part metal in the cheapy, I don't know how well it will perform. I have never shot a Glock but they are used a lot by police officers, if your life is on the line I am assuming they are using a reliable weapon. I don't like the poly as I have had nothing but trouble with one, but I will not bad mouth a gun just because its poly. I shot a S&W .40 and was quite impressed on its feel, however due to problems with S&W I will not buy the new stuff thats poly from them. Hope this helps.
  7. lead

lead Active Member

Whirly, those are two fine pistol makers. I have more experience with the Rugers. They are well made. Of course, Glock has a great reputation as well.
    Both offer lots of models to choose from, depending on what caliber and size you want. Ruger tends to just make a full size gun, except their new LCP. Glock has fullsize, compact, and sub-compact.
    Go to a shop that has a good variety and see which one fits your hand and feel comfortable to you. If you have a range anywhere near you that rents guns, see if they have Rugers and Glocks and try them out.
    Either one will serve you well.
  8. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The Ruger SR-9 is a moderate sized carry 9MM. There were issues with them initially but from what I read they have ironed out the issues. I own a lot of Rugers, mostlly revolvers with one P94 and it is 100% reliable and very accurate. It is also full sized and I use a revolver for a carry weapon. If I were looking for an auto for carry I would give a hard look at the Springfield XD's.
  9. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I wanted to pip in with two points...

1- Weight matters, quite a bit. I figured only wussies or small-framed people could complain about the weight of the pistol. I soon realized that is not the case. With my IWB it is simply a pain in the ass to do anything to the pants with that half-a-ton USP tucked inside!

2- I don't know about police trade ins. I know I would feel confident with any of my dad or his friends weapons- they replace the springs after every use... I'm not sure if that is policy or not- but they get all the springs and whatnot free so...

That being said I'm sure there are cops out there that do not take care of their weapons. I would be curious to find out if someone with more experience has noted some trends? Maybe the guns tend to be in better/same/worse condition than other used options? Maybe it varies by department/region?
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I would guess it would vary by the individual officer as I'm sure some are better maintained than others. Overall if you rely on a firearm to keep you topside the earth I would think you would want to keep it in top shape so I suspect the majority are in decent shape. Let the buyer beware.