polish pilots on case trimmers?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jul 12, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

anyone here polish the pilots ontheir case trimmers?

I have a rcbs case trimmer.. comes with a handfull of pilots. the pilots have a michined finish, and while not rough, they are not polished.

I took a lil 800 paper and ran across the pilot while it was turning, and finished up with some rubbing compound.. brings them to a bright polish finish. i swear they go in and out of case mouths like glass. before, there were a few that were tight enough to take pressure to insert / remove...
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Sounds like a good idea, tuning for smooth operation will reduce wear on other parts of the trimmer, maybe I'll give it a try, if you dont charge royalties for your idea;)
  3. soundguy

i just did it so it would be smoother for the insides of the rifle brass case mouths. easier insertion.. less wear.
    30 seconds with some 800 and then 30 more with some rubbing compound and it brought them to a polish.

I figure that has to be better?

public domain idea :)
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't you just love words that are spelled the same but mean different things.

I read that as Polish (as in "from Poland") pilots (as in "guys that drive airplanes") and was thinking this was an ethnic joke.
  5. soundguy

woops!

so a polish pilot walks into a bar........ you think he'd have seen it. ( Ba-bump bump ) :)
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

So where is polishshooter anyway? :) That's what I read at first too! LOL

But yeah, I've polished up the pilots for my Lyman case trimmer too (and also a couple of my Lee trim studs that were a bit rough). Started doing that after I turned down one of the larger unused Lyman spares into a 5mm pilot for trimming .204 cases. It polished up so nicely I decided to hit the rest of em with some 1200-grit polish too.

Just be careful that you don't polish them down too far otherwise the pilot will get sloppy in the case mouth and can cause chatter marks on the mouth. Don't ask me how I know that......
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  7. soundguy

yep.. just a few seconds with some carbide paper and polish compound. just enough to take the mill marks down and brighten the shine up. I have 2 sets of pilots.. and my .00x caliper can't tell the difference between t he polished and un polished one. so it's less than .001 being taken down..