Polish update on the '97

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

warpig883
    (1/3/02 4:21:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Polish update on the '97
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went with camera in hand. He absolutley does not want me near this shotgun. I think he might want to buy it for himself. He keeps telling me it is worth nothing and only a wall hanger.

The only info I got is the serial#C206740 The C is above the number,and it does have the model on the slide. He would not bring it our of the rack for me to look at. I was straining my eyes to see what I could. He did say there is no choke marking on the barrel.

I think his plan is to try and get it for nothing and then sell it to me. He would not tell me who the owner is. Only that it is a customers gun.

I will keep you updated as I find out more. These dang gunshop guys are the worse ones to deal with. They are always trying to make a buck

I did find a dandy Mossberg Wetern Field 22 though
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/8/02 9:43:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Polish update on the '97
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow. Pig, that sucker is OLD!

Mine is 574xxx, and it was supposely made in 1912...Winchester dates are not too exact, but should be within 5 years of what the books say...

Are you sure the letter above the serial number isn't an "E"? Most of them are stamped that way, mine is too.

Have to see production numbers, but I wouldn't doubt it was made somewhere around 1900-1905...maybe even 1899...a pretty early one, and thus REALLY desirable for "Cowboy" shooters, which is probably what the shop owner has found out...

The choke should be stamped on the side of the barrel, right in front of the reciever....but there IS a chance the early ones either had no choke, or weren't stamped, have to ask ADoc on that one...

Haul out a "C" note, (from a LARGE wad of cash)(that he doesn't have to see is mostly "ones"... )slap it on the counter and DEMAND to buy it or contact the owner...tell him you COLLECT wallhangers...see what he says...most you can do is piss him off...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Edited by: polishshooter at: 1/8/02 9:44:19 pm

warpig883
    (1/9/02 2:18:08 am)
    The C above the serial number is very clear. I don't think he want a wall hanger because he already has a bunch of them he wants to sell me. I think I was to exited when I saw it and he is thinking he can make some money off me.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

AntiqueDr
    (1/9/02 7:32:22 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Polish update on the '97
    It's a 1904 gun. The "C" is not actually part of the serial number, but a letter simply denoting certain mechanical changes kind of like the "-5" on Smith & Wesson model numbers. "A" and "B" were used during the Model 1893 production, so "C" should be the earliest letter found on the 1897. There is some evidence that Model 1893 production did overlap 1897's for a few serial numbers, probably a parts clean-up on receivers.

All 1897's were marked with the choke on the left side of the barrel, excepting the possibility of some late special order guns with Cutts or some other feature. The standard gun, and the earliest production 1897's, were full-choke.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    (1/9/02 9:56:53 am)
    Piggy....walking into a gunshop, jumping up and down and screaming "I want it! I want it! I gotta have it!" is not the coolest bargaining technique.

AntiqueDr
    (1/9/02 10:40:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Polish update on the '97
    I dunno, I kind of like it!
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    (1/9/02 11:00:09 am)
    Thanks Doc! I was just going to post for you to check this out, but thought I would check it first, and you already did, cool.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for that too...I do everything but jump up and down when I see something I want (but I DO drool over myself sometimes...) usually BEFORE I see the price and realize Geez, if I could talk him down a little I could even AFFORD this...but by then it's too late and the "talk him down a little" is lost forever!

Cool...I was just guessing at the date, I don't actually have the Winchester book, all I really had was mine that I did check in the book at a gunshow or library one time, Canfield's serial # ranges of Military '97 Riot and Trench guns in his combat shotguns book, and the fact I remember '97s under like #64,000 or maybe a little less were made before the end of 1898, so are considered "antiques," with no FFL required to buy through the mails...that I think I read in a DIxie catalogue one time.
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

warpig883
    (1/9/02 11:00:50 am)
    Next time I will do it nekkid to take his mind off the gun.

The next time I go in there I will not even mention it and see what happens.

polishshooter
    (1/9/02 11:24:04 am)
    A nekkid Piggy in a gunshop...now THAT'S a visual I would rather not contemplate...

Is it the same shop you took me too? The one with the broomhandle I drooled on?

warpig883
    (1/9/02 3:00:23 pm)
    No this one is in Yankton, Guy does gunsmithing in a shop in his basement and does my FFL transfers for me.

He has some very nice Stevens Visible Loaders I am in love with. He refinished the wood and did the blueing and case coloring. They are damn fine but high priced.

the real fredneck
    (1/10/02 9:53:12 am)
    a neeked piggy in a gunshop in Yankton, (shudder) the visual is getting worse

Zigzag2
    (1/10/02 10:52:34 am)
    and a neckid piggy yankin' in a gunshop is even worst

polishshooter
    (1/10/02 1:31:40 pm)
    But then again, maybe the guy will GIVE him the '97 just to get him outta there...

...and if the technique works, DON'T think for a minute I wouldn't at least think of trying it...