1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Polishing my Colt Government?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by .Bear., Feb 29, 2012.

1. .Bear.

.Bear. New Member

Hello All,

I have a completely stripped & disassembled Colt Government.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bluing was in bad shape. I was wondering if I could just polish the frame, slide & barrel? I know it doesn't offer any corrosion resistance once I polish it but I can keep it cleaned & oiled up. Has anyone done this or am I just wasting my time? I bought some Wonder Black & did the frame & slide but I wasn't happy with the outcome. (It looked WAY better in the pics)

[​IMG]

Right now its all back down to raw again. The reason I'm not looking into having it professionally re-blued is that the previous owner had a rail mounted to the top of the slide & ypu can still see where it was filled in. I don't think its worth the $$$ to have a pro job done to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any info you can throw my way...

-Bear
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Have the gun plated. It's an upgraded finish over bluing, and this gun is a user, not a collectible. Cold blues and paints are for cheap guns.
    If you really want blue, use rust blue. It's a very durable bluing-and can be done at home.
  3. .Bear.

.Bear. New Member

What is the average cost of plating? Any recommendation for a shop to use? As for the rust bluing.... Who makes a good product?
  4. H-D

H-D Active Member

plated or cerakoted would get my vote , also look on the auction sites or the buy, sell, trade sections of forums for a new slide I just got a series 70 slide on an auction site
  5. Bill DeShivs

Ford's refinishing, Armoloy, Metaloy, Metalife.
    Brownells sells rust bluing solution.
    It appears that you did a good job stripping the parts. If you can find a local plater who will nickel or hard chrome it without doing any surface prep, you may come out cheaper.
    Or, you can plate it yourself with electroless nickel from www.caswellplating.com -get the electroless kit-it's much simpler than electroplating.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Generally I charge 120 for nickel plating if the prep is done. If additional prep is required then the cost is more. Hard Chrome runs 175.00. Rust bluing is great stuff but takes practice and patients. Herters Belgium is what I use on soldered doubles but it works great on really any carbon steel. Hot salts is cheaper labor wise(if you already have the set up for it)but for a DIY it works great.
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

To answer your question about leaving in the white, if you keep it very lightly lubed and check it now and then you will be fine. Should a little rust appear you can clean it up with some steel wool. That is what I would do with it until you can find another slide.

Another option you may not have thought of, is put another bar on the slide utilizing the holes already in it. I have to think somebody like Brownells makes that bar with both front and rear sights already on it.

Ron
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  8. Sorrowful Jones

Sorrowful Jones New Member

Have you thought about electroless nickel? I wouldn't know anyone that does it, but it is a nice finish.
  9. Bill DeShivs

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012