Poll: Hornady Lt Mag Ammo vs Superformance

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cycloneman, Jan 9, 2011.

?

Hornady bring back the light mags

1. Bring it back

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. whats a light mag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I have used the Hornady light magnum ammo for years especially for open country hunting. If you dont know Hornady has a new line of ammo called superformance which as advertized seems to have replaced the light magnum ammo. The light magnum ammo from what i have experienced is produced with powder that will not raise pressures into the danger level while giving you top level velocities. The ammo I have seen in the past is compressed into the case. I have experienced extremely good results with the light magnum. I have found there to be extremely low deviation in velocity from one round to the next. This ammo is (was) very consistant.

I have recently purchased some of the new superformance ammo. I have found that the rounds i recently purchased are not compressed charged. I have also shot them thru a chrony to see if they match up with the light mag. My range results show that they are very accurate but give up a good 140 fps in velocity comparing to the light magnums. I have also noticed a greater deviation in velocities from one round to the next. Still very good for factory ammo, in fact the best i have found but not equal to the light mags.

I would like to see if anyone out there has similar results as I have found.
    Please report if you have info.

Hornady has probably spent a small fortune getting this new round marketed but i sure would like to see them bring back the light magnums. If you feel the same please vote and lets see if we cant send them a message.