poll-What to do in Iraq

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bruce FLinch, Feb 24, 2007.

?

What to do w/ Iraq

Poll closed Mar 3, 2007.
  1. Stay the course

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. Cut & run

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Fund & train a counter-insurgency

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. Your choice?

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I am getting bummed about Iraq. Don't see lots of options. Tell me what you think.
  2. Shooter973

Shooter973 New Member

Fight them over there!! Run and they will follow us right back here!!
    Just don't tie the hands of our troops behind their backs... let them do what ever it takes to win. It's still in our best interest to win this. Otherwise we will be looked upon as "fair weather friends".
  3. Like many, I think we've gotten ourselves into a whale of a mess in Iraq and much of that is due to mistakes we ourselves have made between the initial invasion and the present. Nonetheless, I think pulling out now would be a grave error in the long run. Essentially, we've committed the prestige and honor of the United States and its allies to ridding the world of what I truly believe was and is a grave threat to peace. I say, finish the job, but quit trying to do it "on the cheap." Commit the forces and equipment needed to win decisively, then get the hell out.
  4. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Need many many more 50 Cal. snipers......:eek:

1. We need to put them "72 Virgins" on BACK ORDER........:D

2. Send Sara Brady & Nancy Pelosi to confiscate all their guns.

3. Send John Kerry to show them the meaning of bravery....:mad:

4. Send Johm Murtha to show them how tough old Marines officers are.....:mad:

5. Send Jimmy Carter to show them what happens when liberal past presidents get senile....:mad:

6. Send Ophra Winfrey, but she will only help black muslims.......:mad:

7. Send Al Gore, honestly, at least he'll give them 1.5 gal. mini 2 flush toilets

which has got to be better than using yer left hand.....:eek:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  5. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

well said, get the media out of iraq, shut the libs out of the equasion & turn our guys loose. we dont need to know how they handle business, just turn em loose & let em handle business!
  6. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

Pelosi, Murtha & Co. are pursuing retreat (regardless of the consequences) as if there was something to be gained by it. Dubya comes up with ideas to win, and they fight to keep them from being implemented. Just think if they would put up that much fight against Islamic terrorism!

It's quite obvious that defeat is all the Left wants for America, our military, and this president. Defeat for the sake of defeat, in fact. They will do everything they can to undermine our troops, then tell the president "See? We told we couldn't win!"

On the other end is the handling of the war so far. The change in tactics mentioned earlier brought to light some serious flaws. Sadr City is no longer off limits? What the **** was it doing off-limits in the first place?!? Securing the border to Iran and Syria? What were they waiting for?!? And this whole business of political favors needs to go away. Someone gets arrested by U.S. or Iraqi troops for being a suspected terrorist, and it turns out the guy's uncle is in the Iraqi parliament. So when the uncle wants his nephew released, of course we comply in the interest of diplomacy or whatever. And this business of dropping everything to bring in the Johnny Cochrans every time a claim is made against U.S. troops has got to be brought under control too. It's a war, not a protest march!

No wonder the war is still going on...

Put me down for the last one.
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

WIN
    winning should be the top priority!
  8. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

Stay the course is the WORST option, what we did in the past has not worked. We must try something else. We all know the old saying, "The definiton of insanity is trying the same thing over and over, and expecting different results."

I'm starting to lean towards partition of Iraq into three regions, Kurdish, Shiite, and Sunni. Of course this has problems of it's own. Some areas such as Bagdad are very mixed. But some times when peoples can't get along it is time to seperate.

I am all for giving the troops all that they need. But some one has to evaluate what can we truly hope to achieve over there. Is Iraq able to form a stabel democratic republic?

At some point the Iraqis have to take over. A time line for our forces exit, or at least large draw down in forces would force the Iraqis to take the burden of their own defense seriously.
  9. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

I agree with 973 and Pistol, Al Mount has & goog points, Rosierita is right about the media and the LIBS. Ditto's to White Hawk, Marlin T and 17th to be sure. We need to untie their hands and let them do what they do best. We ALMOST did it earlier. Pick the worst city or area and clear every one OUT. This time after everyone's out level it. I mean LEVEL IT. Then, find out where the bad guys go (it wont be hard) and do the same thing. The people will figure out if they don't do something it will happen again. Let them take care of the bad guys. It will never happen because it takes "BALLS" and no one in D.C. has any. I think our military could mop this thing up in six months if we just left them alone, and gave them what they need.
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

We cannot stay the course because it's not working.

Get the politicians to let the generals fight the battles the way they know how & turn'em loose in Iraq!

When you are fighting fanatics you have to think & fight just like them to exterminate them. Yes, I said exterminate them. That is the only way to defeat these vermin.
  11. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I stay the course might not have been the proper way to state it for the poll. It seems that most don't want us to cut and run but to find a way to win. I think if the left in this country joined in finding a way to win instead of merely finding a way to defeat Bush we would be much better off.
    You win by breaking the backs of those your fighting. We are not fighting to win. I agree turn the military loose and let the cards fall where they may. We should own Iraq by now. Perhaps that would be the best course. Annex it and make it a territory.
    We need to do in Iraq what we need to do here. Seal the borders and clean house.
  12. smallblock

smallblock New Member

I like closing the boarders and kicking the --it out of them.
  13. seward

seward Former Guest

Either take James Baker's advise, or reinstate the draft, OR:

Offer amnesty to all of America's prison population of one million +, if they will agree to accept one-way tickets to Iraq. Give them each M-16s (or whatever they're called these days) and two thousand rounds, and pull out U.S. troops. Would that would work ????
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree with both Pistol and Berto.

The bottom line is to get the politicians out of the formula and then turn the military loose to fight it as they see fit. At the same time, give the military ALL IT NEEDS to get the job done, after which we can leave.
  15. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

You really want to know what the squirrel in my skulll is thinking?? Suspend their governament and their rights for about 6 months. Allow the military a free hand to do as they wish with the population and their property. Allow mercenary forces to operate outside the regular military and "observe" for us. When Iran suddenly slides into the ocean the job is done.

PS, issue lots of bayonets and import lots of pork.
  16. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Well People, I'm impressed. I posted this poll, not expecting the response I got , in just a few hours. I also got a little clarity from almost every answer. Now if we could just get the Govt' to do something in agreement. A small recap of various helpful answers.

Get the media out.
    Get the Politicians out.
    Give our Generals & Troops what they need to win.
    Seal off the borders.
    Force the Iraqi leadership to get off their butts.
    Hire some Mercenaries.
    Level a big area & pick off the Vermin.
    Teach those Barbarians what a toilet & TP are for. ( good one Al! )
  17. Ya know, Bruce, if that advice had been followed in Vietnam, we might not have news photos of American helicopters evacuating our personnel from the roof of the American embassy in Saigon. Most important of all: GET THE BLOODY POLITICIANS OUT OF THE WAR!!!!!
  18. click

click New Member

Unlike past wars (not all)the Generals representing this country seem to wear political fatigues as the uniform of the day. It's getting so, that you can't tell the difference between them sometimes..............Can anyone here imagine a General George S. Patton, Douglas MacArthur or a General Lee for that matter, or any of our decorated military people in our past, that would use the kind of rhetoric todays military leaders seem to spit out over the airwaves? Let these guys do what they know how to do best & get the politics out of the equation!:eek::(
  19. berto64

berto64 Active Member

We had that type of General in Shwartskopf( or however it's spelled). One hell of a planner and a go-getter but Bush I pulled him in when he started heading for Bagdad.

He was the one person that was on his way to solving the whole mess and a danged Politician reined him in!

I'm trying to stay nice but bad words are flooding into my mind to describe these @#$%^&*() politicians.

That is ALL.
  20. seward

seward Former Guest

Dump our penitentiery population on Iraq... This isn't practical & won't happen. Another alternative, is to bring back the DRAFT... this also, simply won't happen...

Victory would require 500,000 troops continuously for ten years and another 10,000 dead American troops.. (Or pick your own numbers).

Thanks to the goddurn Liberals.. or for whatever reason that also won't happen.
    .Personally, I may well die at some point..due to living three kilometers from Wall Street...but I definitely won't be dying or working in Iraq.....& God Bless America... etc.