1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Poll: Where do you usually shoot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LurpyGeek, Jan 17, 2006.

?

Where do you usually shoot?

Poll closed Feb 16, 2006.
  1. The local indoor range

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. The local outdoor range

23 vote(s)
    39.7%
  3. A local rural wilderness area

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. I live in a place where I can shoot in my yard if I want to

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Where do each of you usually shoot? Sometimes a range is nice because of the order and organization, but sometimes it's nice to just go out in the wilderness and plink a bit.
  2. Actually, around here, I could in any of the first three if I wanted to. Shooting in my backyard though, would probably get me arrested! I beling to an outdoor range and much prefer it to any indoor range.
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I maked in my back yard, but I have to walk one block. I think that is close enough and this is the reason that I moved to New Mexico!
  4. flopshot

flopshot New Member

years ago i dragged a loader home from work and dug a pit. i'm outside the city limits by apx 2 miles. the only problem is my wife. she keeps eating up .223 and now she's got the hots for my garand.
  5. cec

cec New Member

I don't really have much of a choice, so I go to the local indoor range. Which isn't so bad, it is out of the elements and I don't have to climb over a snowbank 3 months out of the year. :)

I have shot at outdoor ranges as well, but so far I prefer the indoor ranges. I guess that makes me odd (or odder depending on who you ask).
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

All of the above?
    #1 and 2 most of the time.
    #3 Used to all the time, but not so much anymore. Ranges = less hassle.
    #4 For a “few” rounds, like when I am testing something out or sighting it in. Too many shots, and the neighbors can get testy.
  7. Too true, Pick. The holes in the neighbor's house tend to let in the weather during the winter months, and incoming rounds tend to disrupt dinner. ;)
  8. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

You may not belive this but I shoot at an outdoor range :eek: :D :D
    Ron
  9. AGB

AGB New Member

Only in the local outdoor range. There are some indoors, but I don't like. We have 2 great outdoors here, so the place to go. And just as a note, it is illegal to shoot in the wilderness, if You get caught, You're in deep trouble. Some fellows do, I prefer not to risk.
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

We have a great outdoor facility nearby in the National Forest. Makes it convenient and very inexpensive, only $ 1.50 to get in with my disability pass!!!!
  11. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

the range is fun so I go there in town here at college, but I would much rather be shooting in my yard or wilderness

paper is fun enough, but melons cabbage and coconuts are much more interesting to shoot :D
  12. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
    RANGE OFFICER
    BOARD MEMBER
    all at the local outdoor range.

best regards, mike.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  13. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I own seven acres 40 miles from where I live,that is the place where I do my plinking.I allso have free access to our local outdoor Police Dept range. :D
  14. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I'm lucky. The forest service has a range that they maintain for the public just a little ways away from here. Unless it's right before hunting season, I dont have to worry about many people being there and I can do what I want without having to worry about people being idiots.
  15. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Maybe I should have stated that differently. I really didn't mean a designated wilderness area, just a rural area. One reason I asked this is because I usually shoot at the local range, but sometimes I would prefer to just go to an out of the way area to plink a little. When I was much younger, my brother used to take me shooting in some large empty fields (a few hundred acres) a few miles from our home. Now there are subdivisions in a lot of those places and even if I do find a place where I don't think I would disturb anyone, I'm still afraid of being cited and/or having my rifle taken away. I know that I can go out in the west desert (I live in Utah) but that's a 45 minute drive. Anyone know what the specific laws are about this, or have any helpful maps?