1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Poly-Choke Settings

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

MTaylor
    (1/3/03 5:00:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Poly-Choke help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For whatever reason I have been reduced to using a 20ga with a Poly-choke on an upcoming quail hunt. Now, the Poly-chokes that I have seen are different than the one I am seeing here today. This choke does not have any indicator on the barrel, other than an index that is aligned with the forward sight bead. The movable part of the choke has marks around it equal distance labeled the usual Full, Modified, Imp Cyl, and 1, 3, & 5.

Now, when turning the choke you could be at any of those settings three or four times as you screw the choke on. Is it at Full when you cannot screw it on any further? Is the one-sixth of a turn enough to make it change from one setting to another?

Could someone with more knowledge of Poly-Chokes educate me on this please?

Mark

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/3/03 5:23:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Poly-Choke help
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Mark, I'm by know means an expert, but I think this link may help till someone comes along...

www.marblearms.com/polychoke/polychoke.html

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

Packet
    (1/3/03 6:53:58 pm)
    Question, when the choke is screwed on all the way tight, which setting is first in line when you begin to unscrew it?

MTaylor
    (1/3/03 7:08:45 pm)
    Thanks Ziggy, but that web site offered no real assistance in how to work it. I had been there today looking for info.

Packet:

If I screw the choke on it gets real tight at a point where I think it would be Full, but you can still turn it, albeit hard to turn, until it almost gets to Full again. Like one-sixth of a turn before Full.

Packet
    (1/3/03 8:41:26 pm)
    I am guessing that it would be full when its screwed all the way in and then backed off to the first indicator which if I understand you right is full. As you untighten it from there, it goes to the next setting, ie, modified and so on. If you have access to a dial caliper, you can easily check this.

Packet
    (1/3/03 8:50:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del > Poly-Choke help
    Here are the sizes for 20 ga. chokes: Cylinder= .617, skeet1= .613, improved cylinder= .611, modified= .603, full= .592.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/3/03 8:59:06 pm)
    Well, I just happen to have one laying in the livingroom floor.....I``ll go check---hows that for hands on WHAT A GUY!!!

LTS

Screwed all the way down on the barrel and then coming out each click.
    IM
    M
    I
    C
    XF
    F

MTaylor
    (1/3/03 9:40:03 pm)

Quote:
    Here are the sizes for 20 ga. chokes: Cylinder= .617, skeet1= .613, improved cylinder= .611, modified= .603, full= .592

Now that's what I call an answer. Just happen to have a dial caliper lying around (like most reloaders do). Just never thought of actually measuring it.

Thanks!

Packet
    (1/4/03 12:42:31 am)
    Happy to be of service.

MTaylor
    (1/5/03 8:48:34 pm)
    Took the gun to the skeet range this morning and had one of the old pros there look at it and explain it to me. We took it to the pistol range and shot a pattern with it. It really is one-sixth of a turn to change between each setting.

Then I shot a round with him. Hit 20 of 25 with it. (Of course it was the station 7 and 8 shots I had trouble with...)

It was a real pleasure to shoot there and I might be hooked now. Started looking for an entry level over/under to use. Maybe a Whitewing... Hmmm