Polymer AR Lower Receiver, anyone?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by CampingJosh, Feb 7, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Has anyone used one of these? They used to be Plum Crazy Firearms, but recently changed their branding to PCF, Inc. Anyway, they offer a complete AR lower made of polymer. The upside is that you can get the complete lower for $119 (minimum advertised price, so maybe even better than that). The downside? Well, early adopters of new ideas always have some risk...

I handled one at a gun show this past weekend, and it felt OK to me, but I've never owned an AR yet. Has anyone else had a chance to try one of these? What did you think of it?

Polymer has worked well in handgun frames for decades now... is there something inherently different about rifles and carbines that I should worry about?
  2. CampingJosh

Nobody knows anything about it?
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I think they look like crap.

And you end up with a lower that is what it is, you can't change the stock.

Spend a little more.

Are you planning to build or buy a complete AR?

Either way check out BCM for quality parts, uppers or lowers and complete AR's. I don't own BCM but many people have a lot of good to say about their products and the way they stand behind them.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/
  4. CampingJosh

Are you sure about this? The pistol grip is NOT a molded part of the receiver (I e-mailed them to confirm this, because that's how it looked to me, too), and the picture on their site sure makes it look like the buttstock is removable.

Again, I've not messed with them, so I don't know. I'm just curious.
  5. GunHugger

I apologize Josh, I had a brain fart and for some reason the Cavalry Arms lower came to mind rather than what you were asking about.

This is what I was referring to;
    [​IMG]

I don't know much about Plum Crazy...but I don't care for the idea of a plastic lower.

Here's a few discussions about Plum Crazy Lowers that might help you better than I did;

School me on Plum Crazy Lowers
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=518998&light=

Plum Crazy Lower FAILURE
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=524131&light=
  6. CampingJosh

Ah! Yeah, I didn't know about the Cavalry Arms... but that thing is U-G-L-Y! Even if it's the best-functioning AR in the world (which I doubt), I still wouldn't want it.

You're right about getting exactly what you purchase there; if you wanted to change anything, a slip over is your only option.

Thanks for the links on the Plum Crazy.
  7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I visited the little shop in Parker,Az where they were putting together these rifles. The molding was being done in Lake Havasu, Az up the road. They do look a little wierd. I think anyone who buys a Glock would have no problem with these toys.

RC
  8. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I didn't like them and went with a forged lower.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I don't know about that. Some AR lowers already have problems with the hammer and trigger pin holes egging out, I can't imagine the poly lowers are resistant to that either. Kinda reminds me of a thread on another forum were the guy was so hard up to make his own lower he tried to make one out of laminated wood with a fiber glass overlay. :rolleyes:
  10. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Ill stick to my Nickel Teflon coated 7075 billet aluminum machined lower.

To each their own I suppose.
  11. CampingJosh

Bump! I'm still considering this, so I'm still looking for people with experience.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  12. GunHugger

Why?

Price? Weight? Other???
  13. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Don't have a Plum Crazy polymer but do have a Sabre Defense polymer. Love the weight and feel but as I have less than 5K rounds through it I am not sure how it will hold up in the long run. To date there is no sign that it will not last as long as any other AR that I have. I don't care for the cheap look of the collapsible stocks and prefer a solid stock in look and feel. To each their own like many other mods.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yuck! plaztik!
  15. CampingJosh

Price is good. Weight is great. I like polymer-framed handguns (most of the time).

Part of it has to do with getting something that no one else around here has. A very good friend has a Colt. Another has a RRA and a DPMS. I want something different... so long as "different" doesn't just mean junk.

If I end up not liking it, I'll swap it out with another stripped lower. I'll probably switch the trigger group to a RRA two-stage at some point anyway, so it may just always be an "ongoing" build.

For the most part, I haven't ever really tinkered with any of my guns. I need to change that, and I think this is the perfect project to start that on. :)
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011