Polymer or steel for CC? Carry method does matter.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by PlayboyPenguin, Feb 26, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin New Member

Recently I had decided that polymer was so much better for concealed carry. I prefer stainless steel guns but the lighter nature and often slimmer profile of the polymer guns just made them the way to go.

Keep in mind, I made this decision back when I was predominantly carrying OWB in a belt slide style holster. Heavier, thicker guns just tended to sag and prove hard to conceal without a big lump.

Right around the time I started carrying polymer pistols I finally started carrying IWB and bought a good belt. Since then I have not even really tried to carry an all steel gun.

Tonight I decided to leave my regular Kahr PM40 at home and carry my new-to-me, slightly larger, all-steel Kahr K40 instead. I weighed both guns and the K40 was about 10oz heavier and it is a bit taller and longer. To my surprise I hardly noticed any difference at all despite the added size and weight. It seems the IWB method of carry and a good belt really make the difference much less noticeable than it was when I was carrying OWB.

I might just have to rethink the polymer carry gun thing. :)
  2. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

I carry a CZ P01 or a Stoeger Cougar IWB,neither which are pocket pistols and both are 9mm,steel/alloy. Don't even know they are there in a Crossbreed Supertuck,well I know they are there but not uncomfortable at all.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I don't think all polymer guns are slimmer. The 1911 is a steel frame and is pretty slim. I tried out some different old belts my dad had and found one that holds my 1911 in the IWB holster I have.
  4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin New Member

The slimmest guns made are polymer. The reason is the grips are molded into the frame. Even the thinnest grips on a 1911 make it wider than a Kahr polymer or Walther PPS.
  5. copenhagen

copenhagen New Member

PBP, weren't you on TFL?
  6. WILD CAT

WILD CAT New Member

I'm not an expert on polymer firearms, but somehow I imagine that manufacturing costs a lot less than all steel guns. Being an old timer I'm used to all steel and find them more balanced than polymer framed. What do you think?
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I don't care, really, I just adjust.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I've shot some polymer guns that felt way off balance, yes, but I've also shot some steel ones that were the same way. I've also shot some made of each material that felt like an extension of my hand.

The material means a whole lot less than the engineers.
  9. wpage

wpage Active Member

Every gun is somewhat unique in many ways.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It doesn't matter what you carry, or what you put it in, if your set up is not right it will not be comfortable for long. A good, heavy, wide belt makes a lot of difference, and a mag holster on the opisite hip helps to balance out the weight. I carry a 1911A every time I leave the house, with a double mag holster. Sometimes I'm gone all day. A lot of the time I don't even know it's there.
  11. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Whichever feels good in your hand. Most guns are a combo of metal and polymer now-a-days.

I carry a Ruger SR9c and luv it.

Also have a Stoeger Cougar compact and it is excellent.

SR9c is part polymer

Cougar is all metal